What is Peter's current age in this age problem?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, John is twice as old as his friend Peter. Peter is 5 years older than Alice. In 5 years, John will be three times as old as Alice. How old is Peter now?
mathdad
John is twice as old as his friend Peter. Peter is 5 years older than Alice. In 5 years, John will be three times as old as Alice. How old is Peter now?

Set up:

John = 2(x + 5)

Peter = x + 5

Alice = x

2(x + 5 + 5) = 3(x + 5)

Is this the correct equation?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
To be honest I don't understand how you arrived at that last equation but it doesn't give the correct result for Alice's age.

Try this:

Let John be J years old, let Peter be P years old and let Alice be A years old. Then from the given information

1) J = 2P
2) P = A + 5
3) J + 5 = 3(A + 5)

Use 1) and 2) to get 3) in terms of P:

2P + 5 = 3P $\implies$ P = 5

So Peter is 5 years old, John is 10 and Alice is a newborn!

greg1313 said:
To be honest I don't understand how you arrived at that last equation but it doesn't give the correct result for Alice's age.

Try this:

Let John be J years old, let Peter be P years old and let Alice be A years old. Then from the given information

1) J = 2P
2) P = A + 5
3) J + 5 = 3(A + 5)

Use 1) and 2) to get 3) in terms of P:

2P + 5 = 3P $\implies$ P = 5

So Peter is 5 years old, John is 10 and Alice is a newborn!

My original equation was 2x + 5 = 3x. For some reason, it did not makes sense. I often rush through applications thinking the problem has been completely understood.

RTCNTC said:
My original equation was 2x + 5 = 3x. For some reason, it did not makes sense. I often rush through applications thinking the problem has been completely understood.

Yeah now the equation is correct. But i am still wondering it would give right answer.

"John is twice as old as his friend Peter. Peter is 5 years older than Alice. In 5 years, John will be three times as old as Alice. How old is Peter now?

Set up:

John = 2(x + 5)

Peter = x + 5

Alice = x

2(x + 5 + 5) = 3(x + 5)

Is this the correct equation?"

In the first place, "John", "Peter", and "Alice" are names, not numbers and it makes no sense to set them equal to "2(x+ 5)" "x+ 5", and "x"- especially since you have not said what "x" represents.

If you say "let x, y, and z be John's age, Peter's age, and Alice's age, respectively" then it makes sense to say
1) x= 2y (from "John is twice as old as his friend Peter").

2) y= z+ 5 (from "Peter is 5 years older than Alice").

The third condition is a little more complicated because it talks about "in five years". In five years, John's age will be x+ 5 and Alice's age will be z+ 5. Saying "In 5 years, John will be three times as old as Alice" gives
3) x+ 5= 3(z+ 5).

Since we are specifically asked to find Peter's age, y, I would use (1) x= 2y to write the (3) x+ 5= 3(z+ 5) as 2y+ 5= 3(z+ 5). That is equivalent to 2y+ 5= 3z+ 15 or 2y= 3z+ 10. We also have (2)y= z+ 5, so that z= y- 5 and then 2y= 3(y- 5)+ 10= 3y- 15+ 10= 3y- 5. From 2y= 3y- 5, y= 5. Peter is 5 years old.

Though it is not asked, John is twice as old, 10 years old. Alice's age is apparently 0 meaning, I presume, that she is a new born. These numbers, 10, 5, and 0 fit all of the information:
"John is twice as old as his friend Peter": 10= 2(5).
"Peter is 5 years older than Alice": 5= 0+ 5.
"In five years, John's age will be three times as old as Alice". Since John is 10, in five years, he will be 15. In five years, Alice will be 5 and 15= 3(5)".

IF we were to interpret "In 5 years, John will be three times as old as Alice" to mean that, in 5 years, John will be three times as old as Alice is now" (which I did not before because it seems a strange interpretation) then our three equations would be:
x= 2y
y= z+ 5
x+ 5= 3z.

Now, since x= 2y, x+ 5= 2y+ 5= 3z so 2y= 3z- 5. Since y= z+ 5, z= y- 5 so 2y= 3z- 5= 3(y- 5)- 5= 3y- 20. Then y=20. In this interpretation, Peter is 20 years old. Then "x= 2y" becomes x= 40 so John is 40 years old and y= z+ 5 becomes 20= z+ 5 so Alice is z= 20- 5= 15 years old. Quite a difference!

Hey Halls, that won't work next year :)

Related to What is Peter's current age in this age problem?

1. What is the age problem about Peter's current age?

The age problem is a type of mathematical problem where the current age of a person is given and the solver must find their age in the past or the future based on given conditions or clues.

2. What are the common conditions or clues given in age problems?

The most common conditions or clues given in age problems are the person's current age, their age in the past or future, the number of years between the two ages, and any additional information about the person's age (e.g. their age is a multiple of a certain number).

3. How can I solve an age problem about Peter's current age?

To solve an age problem about Peter's current age, you will need to carefully read and analyze the given conditions or clues. Then, you can use algebraic equations or logical reasoning to determine Peter's current age.

4. Can there be more than one solution to an age problem about Peter's current age?

Yes, there can be more than one solution to an age problem about Peter's current age. This can happen if there is not enough information given or if the given conditions allow for multiple possibilities.

5. Are there any strategies or tips for solving age problems about Peter's current age?

Yes, there are some strategies and tips that can help you solve age problems about Peter's current age more efficiently. These include setting up a table or chart to organize the information, using logical reasoning to eliminate impossible solutions, and checking your answer by plugging it back into the original conditions.