What is reality?

A REALITY is an occuring result of a perception of a evolutionary level of consciousness. Thats as simple as i can put it.:smile:

Reality is that which IS.

There are different opinions what constitutes existence.

Some people insist that only physical, 'objective' events are real; others that only mental events are real and others that all phenomenal events are real.

I wonder if 'reality' has a meaning: if reality is that which is, then what falls outside that category? Show me something that is not.

Originally posted by Mumeishi
Reality is that which IS.

There are different opinions what constitutes existence.

Some people insist that only physical, 'objective' events are real; others that only mental events are real and others that all phenomenal events are real.

I wonder if 'reality' has a meaning: if reality is that which is, then what falls outside that category? Show me something that is not.
Show me something that is not reality

Well something that would not be reality would have to be a place absent of all perception from our five sences. It would have to be a state and place with no time or distance. All times and distances would have to be one. It would be quite the opposite of reality, just be without being. It would have to be the womb from which reality was born. It would be the vacuum from which everything was created from nothing.

Show me...

Show me who you were before your parents were conceived.

Actually, a vacuum is not nothing, nor is a period of time in which there is 'nothing'. Both of these are things or states. Nothing is not a thing or state in the same way that nobody is not a person.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Rader
Show me something that is not reality

Well something that would not be reality would have to be a place absent of all perception from our five sences. It would have to be a state and place with no time or distance. All times and distances would have to be one. It would be quite the opposite of reality, just be without being. It would have to be the womb from which reality was born. It would be the vacuum from which everything was created from nothing.

Would it not that not be reality or would it be reality? Have you ever been in reality?

Originally posted by Mumeishi
Show me...

Show me who you were before your parents were conceived.

Actually, a vacuum is not nothing, nor is a period of time in which there is 'nothing'. Both of these are things or states. Nothing is not a thing or state in the same way that nobody is not a person.
I never said a vacuum was nothing, it is nothing only until an infinity of things manifest itself though it. Nor is a period of time nothing, it is a specific period of time. No time is another thing, as is the vacuum, it is all posibilites but only when the clock moves and manifest itself throuh conscioussness.

Show me...

Show me who you were before your parents were conceived.Show me who you were before your parents were conceived.

I was nothing before my parents were concieved, i was an infinity of posiblities.

Both of these are things or states. Nothing is not a thing or state in the same way that nobody is not a person.

Actually quite the contrary, the vacuum no time and nobody is all the same thing, just a infinity of posibilities.

I hear you, read what you have said but can not find logic in what you have said. Can you explain in more detail your logic? I am interested ïn what you have to say.

Originally posted by TENYEARS
Would it not that not be reality or would it be reality? Have you ever been in reality?
Could you kind of refrase or put commas to fully understand your second to last sentence?

Anyway reality is individuality your reality and only yours, you could have similarities with other realities with other consciousness but never exactly the same. No reality or the total reality must be the sume total of all individual realities.

Have you ever been in reality?

Well I can say, that I have been, only in my reality. I have answered you from my perception of reality trying to understand yours.

I have an interesting question for you. Has there ever been documented cases of people who clam that they experienced other individual realities inside there own sentient reality, if only temprorary. You know like ghost. Forget mental cases of all kinds, I do not mean that. I mean temporary occupation of one consciousnes by another. If there was and scientific proof of it it could answer a lot of questions.

Rut Ro Roge. I could tell you something here which I was saving for a book or something don't know quite what. I have a series of happenings which would qualify still as relative but a shared relativity outside physical experience. There is something I have experienced many times which is not just seeing the future. There is also something which I experienced during a vision of the future which was not of the future, but of the present. I know it to be true more than my name.

Rader, you are thinking. Watch where you step, you are on the edge of a bridge and are starting to walk across, it is a bridgeless bridge. Watch where you step you never know where you will land.

When Unity is realised it is irrevocable. You can’t gradually realise it. You can’t partially realise it. You are either in duality or in unity. There is no half-way house. There are states of profound relative unity within duality but they will still retain some sense of self, an ‘I am-ness’ even if this is very different to our normal sense of self. When Enlightenment is realised it cannot be ‘unrealised’. Unity is eternal. On its realisation it is known that unity was always and will always be there. It is only the limitations of duality based consciousness that give a sense of a passage of time - of there being a change from one state to another. All the work done prior to realising Enlightenment is like building a bridge over a bottomless chasm that you must cross. On the bridge you are very constrained by its limitations. Before it is built you can only be on one side. Once you have crossed you are free of this limitation but you can use the bridge to go back to the original side. However your relationship to the place you came from is forever altered by the fact you know what is on the other side. The journey to Enlightenment builds a ‘realisation body’ that, on realisation of Enlightenment, ‘connects’ the limited existence in duality to the infinite state that is now (but always has been and always will be) your permanent ‘home’. The realisation of this permanent state transforms the relationship to creation and to life. There is no longer any change that creation can throw at ‘you’ that can interrupt your essential state. You realise that you state was present before the birth of your body and will be present after its death.

Originally posted by TENYEARS
Rut Ro Roge. I could tell you something here which I was saving for a book or something don't know quite what. I have a series of happenings which would qualify still as relative but a shared relativity outside physical experience. There is something I have experienced many times which is not just seeing the future. There is also something which I experienced during a vision of the future which was not of the future, but of the present. I know it to be true more than my name.

Are you referring to remote viewing? If you are that is not what I mean either. I mean conscious understanding and interpretation of someone elses consciousness. I think consciousness that is individual consciousness is holistic in the live body. Its in all its cells organs and parts, some areas contribute more than others like the five sence organs and the brain but its everywhere. Which brings up a question when you replace body parts does your consciousness change. Go to the extreme, what about a brain transplant, its coming. What about your clone. If thats true will your clone experience the question I asked you. Will he have a paranoid consciouness split between what you are and what he is becoming. Or is it not possible to have or experience more than one consiousness. Up until now my only belief is that a individual consciousness is determined by two coordinates and two factors. X being the point in time and space that you were conceived. Y being the point in space and time that you were born. The intersection of X and Y is YOU. Its also curious that all these people who have out of the body experiences, always what is outside of the body is what observes the body lying there enate. How come the enate body never observes the out of the body. Is it because then the out of the body is the consciousness that when in the body is also then consciousness. Could we not say then that consiousness is life. If so then everyting is consciouss from the atom to us. Its a matter of levels and steps in the evolutionary process from nothing to everything.

Reality is that which can KILL you. The rest might be just delusion.

wolram

Gold Member
reality is nothing more than finding out that others guide your
life, ask some of the poorest people what reality is, they
would say "if i find food tomorow i will live if i dont i
die". now thats real.

Originally posted by wimms
Reality is that which can KILL you. The rest might be just delusion.
and what can kill you? there is only one "thing" that can, but that one thing is also equivalent to all that is, being omnipresent. so, in that sense, everything is real, if one accepts your premise.

there are, of course, many things that can kill your body, but you != your body. is your finger who you are? is your hand? your arm? your torso? your neck? your skull? the grey matter within it? change the body and the awareness of self will change but that is irrelevant because each awareness is limited so that absolute awareness of self is elusive. unless you cross the bridge.

delusions/dreams/hallucinations/fantasies/fictions are real but their nature is sometimes distinctly different from other types of reality. the totality comprises reality; it has various forms and "flavors." feel free to call some types of reality hollow and others less so, but it's all real.

when the seat of awareness leaves the body, it gives a clue as to where the true seat of awareness lies.

Reality is the overwhelming truth that your imagination is presently experiancing.......similar (not Identical) in nature to the reality all "others" are experianceing relative/relitivized to where.

Originally posted by wolram
reality is nothing more than finding out that others guide your
life, ask some of the poorest people what reality is, they
would say "if i find food tomorow i will live if i dont i
die". now thats real.
Be a donar i agree. I change what i can not what i can not.

http://www.thehungersite.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CTDSites

Originally posted by phoenixthoth
When Unity is realised it is irrevocable. You can’t gradually realise it. You can’t partially realise it. You are either in duality or in unity. There is no half-way house. There are states of profound relative unity within duality but they will still retain some sense of self, an ‘I am-ness’ even if this is very different to our normal sense of self. When Enlightenment is realised it cannot be ‘unrealised’. Unity is eternal. On its realisation it is known that unity was always and will always be there. It is only the limitations of duality based consciousness that give a sense of a passage of time - of there being a change from one state to another. All the work done prior to realising Enlightenment is like building a bridge over a bottomless chasm that you must cross. On the bridge you are very constrained by its limitations. Before it is built you can only be on one side. Once you have crossed you are free of this limitation but you can use the bridge to go back to the original side. However your relationship to the place you came from is forever altered by the fact you know what is on the other side. The journey to Enlightenment builds a ‘realisation body’ that, on realisation of Enlightenment, ‘connects’ the limited existence in duality to the infinite state that is now (but always has been and always will be) your permanent ‘home’. The realisation of this permanent state transforms the relationship to creation and to life. There is no longer any change that creation can throw at ‘you’ that can interrupt your essential state. You realise that you state was present before the birth of your body and will be present after its death.
Where is this bridge how do you propose that I find it by myself. Or am i doing that now?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
-Philip K. Dick

Originally posted by phoenixthoth
and what can kill you? there is only one "thing" that can, but that one thing is also equivalent to all that is, being omnipresent. so, in that sense, everything is real, if one accepts your premise.
Nothing that hasn't touch of death to it has any weight. Child crying for a cookie that his parents deny him has sorrow thats delusional. Child that dies of hunger faces reality.

Term "can kill" if vague, not without purpose. Interaction with reality doesn't kill for your lifetime. But its the moments when you face death when you ultimately realise what is real and what is your worthless fantasies. Doesn't happen exactly often.

Anything thats real can kill you. Its just lyrical rephrase I offer.