What is the true meaning of life?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Delta2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Life
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Messages
6,002
Reaction score
2,629
What do you think is the meaning of life?

My answer is two folded:
The special meaning of life : After living almost 50 years on this planet and on the plane of the physical reality, I concluded that the meaning of life is to apply various laws in your life. The most important laws for me, which should always be applied are the laws of the true ethics. I can expand on what I consider true ethics if you want me to do so

The general meaning of life: To be able to choose what will be the meaning of your life. So for example if you want to become a painter and make all sort of paintings and your life will gain meaning through this, then fine just do it. But here someone might choose something crazy, like for example the meaning of his life to be to become a serial killer, or other things that violate the laws of the true ethics that I said in the previous paragraph. So I just don't know is someone should always be able to choose what the meaning of his life will be.

So what do you think on my views and what are your views on the subject?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Lnewqban
Physics news on Phys.org
I can only comment on what I think the meaning of my life is, if any. I'm apparently regarded as a decent math tutor, so I can help students and aspiring to-be-mathematicians on their journey. Half jokingly I say my purpose is to generate mathematicians out of citizens.

I've only been here for some 30 years + some change, don't really contemplate these things. I'm just here, I don't necessarily have a purpose. Then again I don't have any kids and I would rather minimise the amount of responsibilities I have. Hmm, so my purpose is to "get through life as effectively as possible"? :DD I'm too young/immature for serious discussion on this topic, I think.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Lnewqban, Mondayman, PeroK and 2 others
nuuskur said:
I can only comment on what I think the meaning of my life is, if any. I'm apparently regarded as a decent math tutor, so I can help students and aspiring to-be-mathematicians on their journey. Half jokingly I say my purpose is to generate mathematicians out of citizens.

I've only been here for some 30 years + some change, don't really contemplate these things. I'm just here, I don't necessarily have a purpose. Then again I don't have any kids and I would rather minimise the amount of responsibilities I have. Hmm, so my purpose is to "get through life as effectively as possible"? :DD I'm too young/immature for serious discussion on this topic, I think.
So you seem to apply this meta law (if I can call it that way) in your life "get through life as effectively as possible". Interesting. You also chose to give meaning to your life by become a teacher/professor. Well done, judging from the quality of your posts in the math forum you must be a very good one.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Lnewqban
Bandersnatch said:
What is this 'meaning' you speak of?
I don't know how to state it in simpler terms. Maybe the purpose of life or why/what do we live for.
 
But yeah I think I understand where you are getting at life is just another (maybe a bit more significantly complex) phenomenon of the universe. Asking what is the meaning of life maybe is like asking what is the meaning of rain or electromagnetic radiation or black hole radiation. Objectively speaking there is no special meaning.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Lnewqban and Hamiltonian
Delta2 said:
But yeah I think I understand where you are getting at life is just another (maybe a bit more significantly complex) phenomenon of the universe. Asking what is the meaning of life maybe is like asking what is the meaning of rain or electromagnetic radiation or black hole radiation. Objectively speaking there is no special meaning.
According to Dawkins we are just biological machines enabling our Selfish Genes.

I agree with that, biological evolution.

In terms of civilization and social evolution, the meaning is whatever you think it should be and that will probably change over time.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and Delta2
pinball1970 said:
According to Dawkins we are just biological machines enabling our Selfish Genes.

I agree with that, biological evolution.
Somehow I feel that I am something more than a very complex physical system, a very complex machine but I can't give further concrete arguments, all things seem to converge that life is just a very very complex phenomenon of the universe, and that is the only special thing about it that it is very complex.
pinball1970 said:
In terms of civilization and social evolution, the meaning is whatever you think it should be and that will probably change over time.
I fully agree here.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Hamiltonian
pinball1970 said:
According to Dawkins we are just biological machines enabling our Selfish Genes.
Except that we have become so sophisticated that we can understand and question that motivation and decide not to have children, for example.

In the opening of The Ascent of Man, Jacob Bronowski makes just this point. That many creatures have no choice over the lives they lead. Whereas, we have evolved to the point where we can make decisions about how to live that are not determined solely by biological imperatives.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, BillTre, Hamiltonian and 1 other person
Thread closed for Moderation...

Thread will remain closed. We do not have any Mentors who are experts in philosophy, so that's why the GD Rules have this:

Evo said:
Purely speculative or philosophical discussions are no longer permitted and may be deleted or closed without warning or appeal.

Luckily there are lots of other discussion forums that do have such resources, so please consider re-posting this thread start at one of those. Thanks folks.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: Delta2 and Vanadium 50