1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is required to write a mathematical theory?

1. Oct 7, 2014 #1
    I want to write to theory about math but I dont have enough information about writing process.What can I do to write correct theory or article.
    I use theory and article in same meanings.
    Example a physicist makes experiments to proof his theory.Whats a mathematician do to proof his theory ?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2014 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

The physicist that would prove a theory by experimental observation must design a very clear experiment. Similarly, the mathematician must write out his proof so clearly that the skeptical observer is instantly convinced.

Karl Popper, in his Logic of Scientific Discovery, suggests that surprise is a powerful argument, albeit for validation or falsification.

4. Oct 7, 2014 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To write and publish a good article about math, you first have to study math for many years. You will have to learn how to talk and think like a mathematician, so that you can state definitions and prove theorems.

5. Oct 7, 2014 #4
    Thanks for the book

6. Oct 8, 2014 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As a first step, read mathematical papers as published in math journals. Some, but not all, public libraries will carry some math journals. University libraries typically carry a large number.

7. Oct 8, 2014 #6
    I am 17 years old and I want to write an article but I think it is not easy as I think.Can I write an artice without college knowladge ?

8. Oct 8, 2014 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

An article on what? You certainly are not likely to be able to write a mathematics article that would be of particular interest of professional mathematicians with only knowledge of high school mathematics!

9. Oct 8, 2014 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would you be able to write an article about the Vietnamese language, in Vietnamese, for educated Vietnamese people, without first studying Vietnamese? It would be much more difficult than that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook