What is Sheena Ringo's Hi Izuru Tokoro and its Impact on Modern Music?

• Music
  • Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
Hornbein
Exclusively for musicians whose careers began in the 21st century.

Sheena Ringo's Hi Izuru Tokoro [The Land Of The Rising Sun] from 2014. I think the whole album is great. Well her first single was released in 1998 and her career took off in 1999 but I'm gonna let that slide. Now she's one of the biggest stars in Jland.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes difalcojr
Science news on Phys.org

John Coltrane's Countdown.

Joey was thirteen years old at this time.

Ami Nakazono on soprano sax. Ana Matsuoko on piano.

Likes difalcojr
From Korea

Superfly. They were a sensation back in 2010 or so. The band retired before long, but singer Shiho Oshi cut her hair fashionably short and continued as a ballad singer under the Superfly name. I think what they had in mind was super flying through the sky or something like that.

Ballad

Rocker. About as high energy as it gets.

Cover

Original + cover

Likes difalcojr

Likes difalcojr

I'm still waiting for a band where everyone was born in the 21st century. One of the members surfaced in 1999 so didn't quite make it. But you can't necessarily believe the biographical info of pop stars. Supposedly when the debuted their ages were 14 through 16.

Mostly I like the ebass playing of Mina Yamauchi.

Jimmy Page is a fan of the drummer.

jimmy-page-akane-hirose-24630.jpg

More Akane Hirose on trap drums. For some reason I think this drumming is the greatest.

Same band ten years later. Now the ebass player is the star.

Last edited:
Likes difalcojr
Hornbein said:
That's not Akane. The face and drumming style are both different.
According to this copy of the video
reupload of Akane's Drum cover of Maximum the Hormone - Benjo Sandal Dance, that was on the official BANDMAID channel and got removed:
yt_favicon.png
/ bandmaid

I watched copies of the video about 5 years ago, when I first learned of BAND-MAID, before they made their 2019 tour in the U.S.If it's not Akane, then all of these reactions are mistaken
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=akane+"benjo"+reaction
and it's strange that no one has disputed the attribution.

Here's a post from 2016

See also this article from 2016 for a reference to that drum cover
https://www.tokyohive.com/article/2...-mount-drumstick-campaign-for-injured-drummer

more discussion:
  • translation of a quote "Which drummers influenced you? That would be Nao of Maximum the Hormone."
  • ?

Last edited:
Someone isolated Akane's drumming of the cover of Maximum the Hormone's "Benjo Sandal Dance" at

I noticed the drumstick
1700201524721.png

resembles the drumstick in
1700201634173.png
In both videos, one can also see the Band-Maid logo on the apron.

More Akane drumming that I think is great. Her style later became busier and more ordinary IMO.

Here's the same tune eight years later at the Lollapalooza festival. Now ebass player MISA is the star.

Last edited:
Top 21st century ebass players.Dywane "Mononeon" Thomas Jr. Here he dubbed in his own part over a released song by KNOWER. They liked what he did so much that nowadays he works with them. KNOWER is singer Genevieve Artadi with Louis Cole doing everything else. Louis considers himself mainly a drummer. His style is like a human drum machine.

Mohini Dey of Mumbai also dubbing over KNOWER, likely inspired by Mononeon.

Armand Sabal-Lecco with Senri Kawaguchi's Triangle. How can anyone play this well and not be famous? Tough business, music.

Sokoninaru of Osaka. They've been doing this for twelve years.

A nice solo by Chizuru Segawa.

Hornbein said:
I'm still waiting for a band where everyone was born in the 21st century. One of the members surfaced in 1999 so didn't quite make it. But you can't necessarily believe the biographical info of pop stars. Supposedly when the debuted their ages were 14 through 16.

Here's a band-- ASTERISM -- that also didn't quite make "21st Century" since the drummer was born in 1999.
https://asterism.asia/en/biography/
Guitarist Hal-Ca (2002) - really shreds and has a lot of stage presence
Bassist Miyu (2002) - occasionally plays a 7-string bass and does solos
Drummer Mio (1999) [Miyu and Mio are brothers]

(2014) 155 (RH in 2014) - ASTERISM (they were apparently 11, 12, and 14)

(2016) HAL-CA「Rising Moon」9th九州・沖縄FINAL STAGE【優秀賞&オーディエンス賞】
"This tournament was on November 1, 2015.
So, they had:
HAL-CA (guitar) - 12 years old. -- MIYU (bass) - 13 years old. -- MIO (drums) - 15 years old."

(2021) ASTERISM - Gunfire (Live in Studio)

(2023) Asterism - Dawn - Live at SOB's NYC, July 11, 2023

(2020) MIO & MIYU covered Got A Match by Chick Corea
https://www.facebook.com/asterism20...d-got-a-match-by-chick-corea/254534659289162/

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes difalcojr and Hornbein
Asterism isn't my style but they surely can play. The bass player especially. Having all the members born in the 21st century would be taking it to the next level.

To me the keyboard player is the star with that orchestral sound. Too many such stick with 50 year old styles.

Also you get to see Japanese teeth.

This girl was surely born in the 21st century. 2012 maybe.

Hornbein said:
I'm still waiting for a band where everyone was born in the 21st century.

(previously mentioned by me in
)

The Warning

A 21st century band ?
(Depending on your definition [ https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/when-is-the-beginning-of/ ],
a birth year of 2000 might not count. )

https://www.thewarningband.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Warning_(band)
  • Daniela "Dany" Villarreal Vélez (01/30/2000)– guitars, lead and backing vocals, piano (2013–present)
  • Paulina "Pau" Villarreal Vélez (02/05/2002)– drums, backing and lead vocals, piano (2013–present)
  • Alejandra "Ale" Villarreal Vélez (12/13/2004)– bass, piano, backing vocals (2013–present)

“Enter Sandman - METALLICA Cover - The Warning” (2014) (to date 25M Views)

“ The Warning | Ellen DeGeneres TV Show (2015)”

“Alessia Cara & The Warning - "Enter Sandman" (Official Music Video) - The Metallica Blacklist Album” (2021)

" The Warning Performs "EVOLVE" | 2023 VMAs " (MTV)

The best part for me is when the ebassist imitates a tabla.

Sokoninaru is hitting the big time. In Japan that means doing a TV theme song. Fortunately NHK is hip in its choice of theme songs.

They can really play like that. Hear them on stage and its the same. Jland doesn't believe in faking it.

So I just got a retro FM radio. And this on the local station. Pattaya

Last edited:

What is "Hi Izuru Tokoro" by Sheena Ringo?

"Hi Izuru Tokoro" is an album by Japanese singer-songwriter Sheena Ringo, released in 2014. The title translates to "The Place Where the Sun Rises" and it marks her fifth studio album. The album blends traditional Japanese instrumentation with modern pop and rock elements, showcasing Sheena Ringo's unique approach to music and composition.

How did "Hi Izuru Tokoro" impact modern music?

The impact of "Hi Izuru Tokoro" on modern music, particularly in Japan, lies in its innovative fusion of traditional and contemporary sounds. Sheena Ringo's use of traditional Japanese instruments like the shamisen and koto alongside modern pop and rock arrangements has influenced other musicians to explore and integrate diverse musical styles. This has contributed to a broader acceptance and appreciation of cultural diversity in modern music.

What are the key themes explored in "Hi Izuru Tokoro"?

"Hi Izuru Tokoro" explores a variety of themes including identity, love, societal expectations, and cultural heritage. Sheena Ringo often uses her music to comment on personal and societal issues, and this album is no exception. Through its lyrics and musical composition, the album delves into the complexities of modern life and the search for personal authenticity amidst external pressures.

What makes Sheena Ringo's approach to music unique in "Hi Izuru Tokoro"?

Sheena Ringo's approach in "Hi Izuru Tokoro" is unique due to her eclectic mix of musical styles and her bold experimentation with sound. She seamlessly blends elements of jazz, rock, pop, and traditional Japanese music, creating a sound that is distinctly her own. Additionally, her lyrical prowess and the theatricality of her music delivery further set her apart in the modern music scene.

How has "Hi Izuru Tokoro" been received by critics and audiences?

"Hi Izuru Tokoro" has been highly praised by both critics and audiences for its artistic depth and innovation. Critics have lauded Sheena Ringo for her daring musical choices and her ability to craft songs that are both intellectually engaging and emotionally resonant. Fans appreciate the album for its authenticity and the seamless integration of various musical influences, which resonate with a wide audience.