What is so beautiful about Euler's Identity?

• Thread starter joelio36
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the conversation discusses Euler's equation, e^{i\pi}+ 1= 0, and the beauty and significance behind it. The equation combines five fundamental constants into a single, simple equation, making it both elegant and profound. Some argue that the equation is overhyped and not as significant as it seems, while others see it as a glimpse into the structure of mathematics. Ultimately, the equation's beauty lies in its ability to solve problems and inspire new ideas.
joelio36
I'm a pretty novice Physicist/Mathematician, but I've got a few offers for good universities, to show you my general level of knowledge.

Could someone please explain in terms I will understand why this equation is considered so perfect and beautiful?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is so beautiful about the Mona Lisa?

Euler's equation, [itex]e^{i\pi}+ 1= 0[/itex], which can also be written [itex]e^{i\pi}= -1, combines five fundamental constants, 0, 1 (or -1), e, i, and [itex]\pi[/itex] into a single, simple, equation. Simplicity and depth make for beauty.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:

Euler's equation, [itex]e^{i\pi}- 1= 0[/itex] combines four fundamental constants, 0, 1, e, and [itex]\pi[/itex] into a single, simple, equation. Simplicity and depth make for beauty.

Error! Should be + 1 = 0, not -1.

'Tis true... both of the above.

I think that the "beauty" is in the fact that the constants are from very different branches of mathematics. 0, 1 and i are from algebra, e is from calculus/analysis, and [itex]\pi[/itex] is from geometry.

HallsofIvy said:

Euler's equation, [itex]e^{i\pi}+ 1= 0[/itex] combines four fundamental constants, 0, 1, e, and [itex]\pi[/itex] into a single, simple, equation. Simplicity and depth make for beauty.

And in combining those fundamental constants it uses each of the 4 fundamental math operations: Addition, multiplication, exponentiation and equality.

All to arrive at a result that seems impossible.

How can that be anything but beautiful?

Why does no one mention the i, is there nothing special about imaginary numbers or something?

Am I the only one who isn't in awe of this equation?

When I first saw it, it seemed random and just didn't make any sense, like those infinite sum formulas of Ramanujan (...one over pi equals WHAT?). But then after I studied complex analysis, and the more I learn in math, the more pedestrian and booring it becomes. It seems to just be a random consequence of much bigger ideas, and it doesn't lead to any insights by itself.

I've thought about this a few times and tried to "see the beauty" but as far as I can tell all the awe is based purely on shock value and nothing deeper.

It's easy to remember and makes a lot of otherwise tough math easy.

why so hung upon the word beautiful? try unbelievable, or wacky, or unexpected, or sexy, or what ever, but at least it ain't boring.

I've never seen an equation that put me in "awe", but this is a pretty cool one. And it only gets better when you find uses for it.

I've never found anything in mathematics to be beautiful. The concept of beauty in mathematics traces back to Hardy's A Mathematician's Apology and is based on a more-or-less Late 19th/Early 20th Century sense of aesthetics.

Nevertheless, this equation has always intrigued me, since it gives us a sneak peek into the structural integrity of Mathematics as an academic discipline.

I always don`t get it. To me, if it can solve problems, and extend new ideas, then i like it. I don` t bother with 'beauty'.

If you ask me, something is beautiful when it's stimulating and seemingly simple (women excluded of course! eyo!)
Euler's identity is, to me, a 7. [tex]A\; =\; \pi r^{2}[/tex] is like a 3. [tex]e=mc^{2}[/tex] is about a 9. The Lorentz factor is a perfect 10, if you ask me. =]
Simplified complexity... mmmm...

What is Euler's Identity?

Euler's Identity is a mathematical equation that shows the relationship between five fundamental mathematical constants: 0, 1, pi, e, and i. It is written as e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0, and is considered one of the most elegant and beautiful equations in mathematics.

Why is Euler's Identity considered beautiful?

Euler's Identity is considered beautiful for a variety of reasons. One of the main reasons is that it combines five fundamental mathematical constants in a single equation, demonstrating the interconnectedness of different mathematical concepts. Additionally, it is a concise and elegant expression that has many applications in different fields of mathematics and science.

What makes Euler's Identity so important?

Euler's Identity is important because it has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is also a fundamental concept in complex analysis, an important branch of mathematics. Furthermore, it has been called "the most beautiful theorem in mathematics," and has captured the fascination and curiosity of mathematicians and scientists for centuries.

How did Euler's Identity come about?

Euler's Identity was discovered by the famous Swiss mathematician, Leonhard Euler, in the 18th century. He derived it through his study of complex numbers and their relationships with trigonometric functions. However, the equation was not widely recognized until the 19th century when other mathematicians, such as Carl Friedrich Gauss and Augustin-Louis Cauchy, began to use it in their own work.

Can Euler's Identity be proved?

Euler's Identity cannot be proven in a traditional sense, as it is an identity rather than a theorem. This means that it is always true and does not require any assumptions or conditions. However, there are several ways to understand and interpret the equation, including through geometric, algebraic, and analytical methods. Ultimately, the beauty of Euler's Identity lies in its simplicity and universality, rather than in its provability.