Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is so beautiful about Euler's Identity?

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    I'm a pretty novice Physicist/Mathematician, but I've got a few offers for good universities, to show you my general level of knowledge.

Could someone please explain in terms I will understand why this equation is considered so perfect and beautiful?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is so beautiful about the Mona Lisa?

Euler's equation, [itex]e^{i\pi}+ 1= 0[/itex], which can also be written [itex]e^{i\pi}= -1, combines five fundamental constants, 0, 1 (or -1), e, i, and [itex]\pi[/itex] into a single, simple, equation. Simplicity and depth make for beauty.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  4. Dec 11, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Error! Should be + 1 = 0, not -1.
  5. Dec 11, 2008 #4
    'Tis true... both of the above.
  6. Dec 12, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that the "beauty" is in the fact that the constants are from very different branches of mathematics. 0, 1 and i are from algebra, e is from calculus/analysis, and [itex]\pi[/itex] is from geometry.
  7. Dec 12, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And in combining those fundamental constants it uses each of the 4 fundamental math operations: Addition, multiplication, exponentiation and equality.

All to arrive at a result that seems impossible.

How can that be anything but beautiful?
  8. Dec 12, 2008 #7
    Why does no one mention the i, is there nothing special about imaginary numbers or something?
  9. Dec 15, 2008 #8
    Am I the only one who isn't in awe of this equation?

When I first saw it, it seemed random and just didn't make any sense, like those infinite sum formulas of Ramanujan (...one over pi equals WHAT?). But then after I studied complex analysis, and the more I learn in math, the more pedestrian and booring it becomes. It seems to just be a random consequence of much bigger ideas, and it doesn't lead to any insights by itself.

I've thought about this a few times and tried to "see the beauty" but as far as I can tell all the awe is based purely on shock value and nothing deeper.
  10. Dec 15, 2008 #9
    It's easy to remember and makes a lot of otherwise tough math easy.
  11. Dec 15, 2008 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

why so hung upon the word beautiful? try unbelievable, or wacky, or unexpected, or sexy, or what ever, but at least it ain't boring.
  12. Dec 16, 2008 #11
    I've never seen an equation that put me in "awe", but this is a pretty cool one. And it only gets better when you find uses for it.
  13. Dec 16, 2008 #12
    I've never found anything in mathematics to be beautiful. The concept of beauty in mathematics traces back to Hardy's A Mathematician's Apology and is based on a more-or-less Late 19th/Early 20th Century sense of aesthetics.

Nevertheless, this equation has always intrigued me, since it gives us a sneak peek into the structural integrity of Mathematics as an academic discipline.
  14. Dec 17, 2008 #13
    I always don`t get it. To me, if it can solve problems, and extend new ideas, then i like it. I don` t bother with 'beauty'.
  15. Dec 17, 2008 #14
    If you ask me, something is beautiful when it's stimulating and seemingly simple (women excluded of course! eyo!!)
    Euler's identity is, to me, a 7. [tex]A\; =\; \pi r^{2}[/tex] is like a 3. [tex]e=mc^{2}[/tex] is about a 9. The Lorentz factor is a perfect 10, if you ask me. =]
    Simplified complexity.... mmmm....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?