High School Physics online video courses and MOOCs?

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for video courses on physics for high school students. The suggested courses include "How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics" from Coursera and "Intro to Physics" from Udacity. Other recommendations include Walter Lewin's lecture series, Brilliant's dynamics bootcamp course, and the Science Olympiad website for wave physics. The individual seeking recommendations is looking for a course that is accessible for their 14-year-old son with a basic knowledge of math, but also teaches the basics of science and sparks an interest in physics.
MichPod
Hi Everybody,

Could you please point me to some good video courses on Physics for the High School level and generally of the introductory level?

What I could find meanwhile are: "How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics" from Coursera
and "Intro to Physics" from Udacity.

I am looking for something which is accessible for my 14 y/o son with a good, but pretty non-advanced knowledge of school math (which in his age and in Canada practically means no knowledge of math at all), but on the other side which does not much compromises on teaching some basics of science and ideas and not just entertaining kids. I want him somehow to start seeing beauty and intellectual depth of physics (even at High School level), not necessarily get immediately a good control on the subject (like being able to solve textbook physical problems), but to get some push so he could have some minimal, at least, interest and respect to physics.

Practically, any High School video course will go, I'll anyway need to do my selection, so what I said above is more about my attitude than what you need to take into account when proposing me some course.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Science news on Phys.org
these are at high school level:

In my opinion Walter Lewin's lecture series is by far the best! (It uses single variable calc.)

I have also heard the course offered by Brilliant is pretty good(but it is not free)

https://brilliant.org/courses/dynamics-bootcamp/

Likes osilmag and MichPod
I think Kahn academy is a good resource, worth checking out anyway.

For wave physics you can use the Science Olympiad website:
https://www.soinc.org/crave-wave-b
Although it's mostly based on the official SciOly rules it's also helpful for classes and independent studying.

What topics are covered in high school physics online video courses and MOOCs?

High school physics online video courses and MOOCs cover a wide range of topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, thermodynamics, and modern physics. They also cover topics related to engineering and technology, such as circuits, robotics, and computer programming.

Do I need to have a strong math background to take a high school physics online video course or MOOC?

Yes, a strong math background is essential for understanding and solving problems in high school physics. A solid understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry is necessary for success in these courses. Some courses may also cover basic calculus concepts.

Are there any prerequisites for taking a high school physics online video course or MOOC?

Prerequisites vary depending on the course and the platform offering it. Some courses may require prior knowledge of basic physics concepts, while others may be open to anyone with a strong math background. It is important to check the course requirements before enrolling.

How do I access the materials for a high school physics online video course or MOOC?

Most platforms offering high school physics online video courses and MOOCs provide access to course materials through a website or a mobile app. Some courses may also offer downloadable materials, such as lecture notes, practice problems, and exams. Students will typically need to create an account and enroll in the course to access the materials.

Can I receive credit for a high school physics online video course or MOOC?

It depends on the course and the institution offering it. Some platforms may offer certificates of completion, which can be used to demonstrate knowledge and skills acquired through the course. However, these certificates may not be recognized for college credit. It is important to check with the course provider and your school to determine if credit can be earned.