What is somatic cell hybrid mapping and how is it used in genetic research?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bio-student
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cell Mapping
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Bio-student
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I have an upcoming exam on human genetics and genetic techniques and I am trying to learn about this procedure. I have searched the internet but come up with more studies that have used this technique rather than a plain 'for dummies' explanation of what it is. If someone could offer one that would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks very much.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
A somatic cell hybrid is simply a cell with the full complement of chromosomes (not a germ cell) from two different species, With recombination, the distance between two markers can be estimated by how often the two markers transfer together in cell cultures. The following short article discusses the basics.

http://bio-genetic.blogspot.com/2009/04/somatic-cell-hybrids-and-gene-mapping.html
 
Last edited by a moderator: