Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is space, vaccuum, or nonexistence?

1. Oct 11, 2007 #1
    What I mean to say is what is energy? I mean what is matter? What does it have that seperates it from blankness or nothingness?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2007 #2
    It's something we can measure.
  4. Oct 14, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

It sounds like this is a rather philosophical question, but I think the answer to your question is that matter and energy exist and blankness or nothingness does not exist.
  5. Oct 14, 2007 #4
    Energy is the ability to do work. And matter is something that takes up space and has a measurable mass. Does that answer satisfy you?
  6. Oct 14, 2007 #5
    the indivisible 'atom' of existence is the 'event'. events happen. non-existence doesnt happen.

mass and energy desribe 'how' events (in our universe) happen.
  7. Oct 14, 2007 #6
    Not bad. But how do events "happen"? How do mass and energy "describe" this?
  8. Oct 14, 2007 #7
  9. Oct 14, 2007 #8

Gold Member

Yeah. So don't go blabbin' it around.:biggrin:
  10. Oct 14, 2007 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Make up your mind. Which is it: space, vacuum, nonexistence, energy or matter?
  11. Oct 15, 2007 #10
    I guess I should have posted this philosophical forum...admin...can you move this into philosophy so people are free to say what they want?
  12. Oct 15, 2007 #11
    Matter is a thing
    Energy is a thing

When you don't have either you have no thing.
  13. Oct 15, 2007 #12
    What is the difference btw matter and energy?
  14. Oct 15, 2007 #13
    Matter is something that you can touch, and see around you. In philosphical terms, energy is a force fueling everything. I physics term, the ability to do work.
  15. Oct 15, 2007 #14
    Then what keeps the energy dynamic? If it is big bang then what started big bang?

<< post edited by berkeman >>
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2007
  16. Oct 15, 2007 #15
    Alright, if energy is the force that enables work, then energy itself is dynamic, but it takes the form of elements, which we can either see or feel. Big Bang? - that theory is very controversial. Okay - immense compression of energy. One of it's properties is that it's dynamic, extremely. Therefore, I didn't like to be compressed in one place.
  17. Oct 16, 2007 #16
    I don't like this kind of reasoning.

If this theory is controversial then why don't you guys tell me how you think about it?
  18. Oct 16, 2007 #17
    It appears that the answer to your question is that we really do not have the complete picture of matter and energy. As of now they are concepts which will finally lead to a complete understanding....
  19. Oct 16, 2007 #18
    Matter and energy, according to Albert Einstein (and no-one has been able to show he's wrong yet) are equivalent. They aren't the same thing, obviously. Mass has an energy equivalent and vice-versa. Simple and succinct, or even beautiful. Certainly elegant.
  20. Oct 17, 2007 #19

Gold Member

Some people are saying that the simplest explaination of matter is that it is space vibrating.

Not at all, its a property of what we often think of as a "thing":

Edit: With these definitions in mind we might answer the OP's question (what is space?) with "everything".
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  21. Oct 17, 2007 #20
    What started time?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?