1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is speed of o-ray and e-ray and how to obtained?

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    what is speed of o-ray and e-ray and how to obtained??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

that's all for the questions. How do i calculate speed of o-ray and e-ray (for example, e-ray and o-ray of calcite)
    thank you
    2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

surfing web and reading book

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2
    Re: what is speed of o-ray and e-ray and how to obtained??

What do you mean by "calculate"? Starting with what? These are experimental quantities.
    What is given?

4. Nov 25, 2008 #3

i mean the formula to calculate it, any formula with any values (such as wavelength, h, c, m, T, f.....).

5. Nov 26, 2008 #4

As I said, these values are experimentally determined. They depend on the specific material so there is no way to express them just in terms of fundamental constants.
    It's very difficult (if not impossible) to predict the values just from first principles. You need some sort of model for the crystal (calcite in your case) that will include some specific parameters (like interaction forces, atom spacing; also atomic properties like pollarizability and I don't know what else.)

Maybe you mean some empirical formula, that represent the experimental data over some wavelength range?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?