What is spin for neutral particles

In summary, particles have spin because they are defined as physical systems that can be described by irreducible representations of a specific group, such as the Poincaré or Galilei group. Spin is one of the numbers that label a particular representation, and it is not limited to relativistic systems alone. It is compatible with relativity, but can also be defined in non-relativistic systems.
ArielGenesis
I understand that an electron spin is intrinsic. We call it spin because electron has a magnetic moment, which would be naturally produced if the electron is physically spinning. All we know is that for whatever reason, electron has a magnetic moment.

My question is, how do we know if neutral elementary particle have spin?

Physics news on Phys.org
ArielGenesis said:
I understand that an electron spin is intrinsic. We call it spin because electron has a magnetic moment, which would be naturally produced if the electron is physically spinning. All we know is that for whatever reason, electron has a magnetic moment.

My question is, how do we know if neutral elementary particle have spin?

The magnetic moment is not the electron spin. Particles have spin independent of charge. An example would be the photon. As a general rule, particle spin is not assumed to be directly associated with physical spinning motion. A particle is not a ball which spins or turns in a direction. Probably the term "spin" should not be used, as that has classical connotations.

Particles have spin because they're defined as the physical systems that can be described by irreducible representations of the restricted Poincaré group, and spin is one of the numbers that label a particular irreducible representation. So asking why electrons have spin is kind of like asking why Champagne is made in France. It's just much more difficult to see that the answer is contained in the question. To really understand this, you'd have to go through the relativistic version of the argument I posted here, plus the actual construction of the representations. Chapter 2 of Weinberg's QFT book is a pretty good place to read about those things.

Last but not least, also neutral particles, like the neutron, not only have spin, but also an associated magnetic moment.

does neutron have magnetic moment due to non neutral quark?

Umm... thanks fredrik, I checked ur link but... I don't really understand it. So, for all purpose and intention, spin is just a vector that all elementary particle has, and it obey angular momentum commutator relation?

And it arise from some fact that I don't have to know about until I go to grad school?

ArielGenesis said:
So, for all purpose and intention, spin is just a vector that all elementary particle has, and it obey angular momentum commutator relation?

And it arise from some fact that I don't have to know about until I go to grad school?
Yes that's right. You should know that that fact is the assumption of rotational invariance of space, but you won't have to know the details for at least a few years.

Fredrik said:
Particles have spin because they're defined as the physical systems that can be described by irreducible representations of the restricted Poincaré group, and spin is one of the numbers that label a particular irreducible representation. So asking why electrons have spin is kind of like asking why Champagne is made in France. It's just much more difficult to see that the answer is contained in the question. To really understand this, you'd have to go through the relativistic version of the argument I posted here, plus the actual construction of the representations. Chapter 2 of Weinberg's QFT book is a pretty good place to read about those things.

Spin is well-defined in non-relativistic systems as well, so it's not entirely correct to state that it arises from the principles of relativity. At best, you can say that it is compatible with relativity (although you need to invoke on infinite dimensional representations). But spin is definitely not limited to relativistic systems alone.

xepma said:
Spin is well-defined in non-relativistic systems as well, so it's not entirely correct to state that it arises from the principles of relativity.
I didn't say that it does. You might want to click that link. :smile:

I think of "electrons" (and particles in general) as being defined relativistically, but I suppose we could define particles in non-relativistic QM as well, as systems represented by irreducible representations of the Galilei group.

What is spin for neutral particles?

Spin is a fundamental property of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. For neutral particles, such as photons and neutrons, spin is a value of either 0 or 1, with 0 representing no spin and 1 representing spin.

How is spin measured for neutral particles?

Spin is measured in units of Planck's constant, denoted as h-bar (ℏ). For neutral particles, spin is measured by observing their behavior in a magnetic field. Particles with a spin of 0 will not be affected by the magnetic field, while particles with a spin of 1 will experience a force in the direction of the field.

Why is spin important for neutral particles?

Spin plays a crucial role in determining the properties and behavior of particles. For example, the spin of a neutral particle can affect its interactions with other particles and the type of decay it undergoes. Understanding the spin of neutral particles is essential in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics and particle physics.

Can the spin of a neutral particle change?

No, the spin of a neutral particle is a fundamental property that does not change over time. In other words, a particle with a spin of 0 will always have a spin of 0, and a particle with a spin of 1 will always have a spin of 1.

How does spin relate to other particle properties?

Spin is one of several fundamental properties that describe particles, along with mass, charge, and flavor. These properties are used to classify and distinguish between different types of particles, and they play a crucial role in the study of subatomic particles and their interactions.