What is the amplitude of sinusoidal motion?

In summary, the problem involves an object with a mass of 0.222 kg hanging on a spring with a spring constant of 86.4 N/m. The object is subjected to a resistive force and a sinusoidal driving force, with a ratio of the damped frequency to the undamped frequency of 0.886. The steady-state amplitude of the resulting motion can be calculated using a series of equations, with the final answer being 11.92 cm. The specific value of 0.901w_{o} may have an effect on determining the damped frequency.
Aar

Homework Statement

An object with mass 0.222 kg is hung on a spring whose spring constant is 86.4 N/m. The object is subject to a resistive force given by -bv, where v is its velocity. The ratio of the damped frequency to the undamped (natural) frequency) is 0.886. If this system is subjected to a sinusoidal driving force given by

F(t)=(8.75 N)sin(0.901ωo t) ,

what is the (steady-state) amplitude (in cm) of the resulting sinusoidal motion

Homework Equations

A = A[itex]_{o}[/itex]/[itex]sqrt{( (1-r^2)^2 + (r^2/q^2) )}[/itex]

r = w[itex]_{d}[/itex]/w[itex]_{o}[/itex]

Q = (w[itex]_{o}[/itex]*M)/b

A[itex]_{0}[/itex] = Fm/k

F(t) = (Fm)cos(w[itex]_{d}[/itex]*t)

w[itex]_{d}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{w_{o}-(b/2m)^2}[/itex]

w^2 = k/m

The Attempt at a Solution

this is what I attempted initially and obtained an answer that was correct however in attempting other questions with different numbers the answers which I obtained were not correct. I am wondering if it was coincidental that the initial answer I obtained worked out to be a correct value or if it was the correct method and the program which I submitted the answer in was not registering the answers correctly.

initially solve for w[itex]_{0}[/itex] w[itex]_{d}[/itex] than obtain b

w[itex]_{0}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{86.4/0.222}[/itex] = 19.73

w[itex]_{d}[/itex] = w[itex]_{0}[/itex]*0.866 = 17.47

b = 2/m * [itex]\sqrt{(19.73)^2 - (17.47)^2}[/itex] = 4.0615

q = 19.73*0.222/4.0615 = 1.0783

A[itex]_{o}[/itex] = 8.75/86.4 = 0.10127

A = 0.10127/[itex]sqrt{( (1-0.866^2)^2 + (0.866^2/1.0783^2) )}[/itex] = 0.1192 m

convert to cm and the answer obtained is = 11.92cm

my uncertainty is wether or not the value in the sinusoidal driving force equation if the 0.901w[itex]_{o}[/itex] has any effect on determining w[itex]_{d}[/itex].

thanks for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the definition of amplitude in sinusoidal motion?

The amplitude of sinusoidal motion refers to the maximum displacement of an object from its equilibrium position during one cycle of motion. It is represented by the distance from the equilibrium position to the crest or trough of the wave.

2. How does the amplitude affect the motion of an object?

The amplitude of sinusoidal motion determines the maximum speed and acceleration of an object during its motion. A higher amplitude results in a greater displacement and therefore, a higher velocity and acceleration.

3. Can the amplitude of sinusoidal motion be negative?

Yes, the amplitude of sinusoidal motion can be both positive and negative. A positive amplitude indicates a displacement above the equilibrium position, while a negative amplitude indicates a displacement below the equilibrium position.

4. How is amplitude different from frequency in sinusoidal motion?

While amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of an object, frequency refers to the number of cycles or oscillations completed by the object in a given time period. They are both important factors in describing the motion of an object in a sinusoidal pattern.

5. How is amplitude related to energy in sinusoidal motion?

The amplitude of sinusoidal motion is directly proportional to the energy of the system. A higher amplitude means a higher potential energy, which is converted into kinetic energy as the object moves in its oscillating motion. Therefore, a higher amplitude results in a higher energy output.