What is the Angle of a Vector with x, y, and z Axes?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle a vector makes with the z-axis when it already makes 45 and 60 degrees with the x-axis and y-axis, respectively. The concept of direction cosines is mentioned and the individual asking for help is reminded to provide their working. The use of Pythagoras' formula is suggested to find the answer.
Leelakrishna23

Homework Statement

If a vector makes 45 degrees and 60 degrees with x-axis and y-axis respectively then the angle it makes with z-axis is equal to

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It would easier to help you if you give it a try first
You must give an attempt only then can we help you.

I've applied the concept of direction cosines to solve it but I couldn't get the answer.

WP_20160124_002.jpg

Actually the answer(60 degrees) is not given in the answer column. So I just wanted to know if it's correct.

And i didn't get the cos^2 alpha + cos^2 beta + cos^2 gama=1. Can you please explain me?

Leelakrishna23 said:
And i didn't get the cos^2 alpha + cos^2 beta + cos^2 gama=1. Can you please explain me?
You do get 1!
The answer of 60 degrees looks fine to me.

Leelakrishna23 said:
It's just Pythagoras' formula. If a unit vector from the origin makes those angles with the axes, then the cosines are the x, y, z coordinates.

Much appreciated, thank you.

Likes Suraj M

1. What is a vector angle?

A vector angle is the angle between two vectors in a coordinate system. It is the measure of the rotation required to align one vector with the other.

2. How is the vector angle calculated?

The vector angle can be calculated using the dot product or cross product of two vectors. The dot product yields the cosine of the angle, while the cross product yields the sine of the angle.

3. What are the x, y, and z axes?

The x, y, and z axes are the three perpendicular lines used to define a three-dimensional coordinate system. The x-axis is horizontal and points to the right, the y-axis is vertical and points upwards, and the z-axis points towards the viewer.

4. Can the vector angle be negative?

Yes, the vector angle can be negative. It depends on the direction of rotation between the two vectors and the chosen coordinate system.

5. How is the vector angle used in science?

The vector angle is used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It can be used to calculate the direction and magnitude of forces, describe the orientation of objects, and create 3D visualizations.