What Is the Asymptote of y = 2^(x+3) + 4?

  • Thread starter Thread starter alliereid
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
alliereid
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Determine an equation for the asymptote of the graph of y = 2^(x+3) + 4

I'm not suppose to use a calculator for this question, I tried taking the log of both sides but it required a calculator usage. Anyone know how to do this question by hand? The answer's -4 by the way
 
Physics news on Phys.org
An asymptote is a line. -4 isn't a line. It's a number. If your answer key says the asymptote is -4, it could use some work. Do you know what an asymptote is?
 
I meant the answer is y = -4. And is an asymptote not a point where the function cannot go through, it can get very near but never touch that point.
 
2^(3+x) is positive. 4 is positive. The sum is positive. That can't get anywhere near y=(-4). Do you mean y=(+4)? That would be an asymptote as x->-infinity. Or do you mean y = 2^(x+3) - 4?
 
Oh I'm sorry, you are right the answer is 4, I confused the answer I got which was -4 with the real answer. Yeah what I don't get is why it is 4, I got -4. It's a multiple choice question:

A. y = 4
B. x = 3
C. x = -3
D. y = -4
 
Last edited:
I changed the equation into log form.

y = 2^(x+3) + 4
log2y = (x+3)+4

So does that not mean that y can't equal negative 4 since logs can't have a negative?
 
You are making some pretty bad log mistakes there. Don't take it to logs, just work with what you have.
 
Could you explain to me how you got the answer? I'm sure this question will come up again on my final.
 
The function doesn't have any values of x where it goes to infinity in y. So the only possible asymptotes are as x->infinity or x->-infinity. As x->-infinity 2^(x+3)->0. So y->4. That's an asymptote.