What is the atom density of aluminium at 600K?

  • Thread starter Thread starter alfredbester
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
alfredbester
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Hi, I appear to have lost some mass/density.

Q: Calculate the atom density, n, of aluminium at 600k.

Data given (some of it not relevant to this part of the ? but i'll post it all).

The debye temperature [tex]T_D = 428 K[/tex] . The velocity of sound at room temp, [tex]v = 5100m s^{-1}[/tex]. The interatomic spacing a = 405pm, and its relative atomic mass is 27.

I found the atom density n to be:

[tex]n = (KT_D / \hbar v )^3.(1 / 6\pi^2)[/tex]

I used [tex]{\omega_m}^3 = 6\pi^2 v^3 n[/tex], and the fact [tex]{\omega_m} = K T_D / \hbar[/tex] to get my equations for n.
I assumed the atom density was the same at 600k as at room temperature (the way the question was worded I couldn't see any other method). Plugging the numbers in I found [tex]n = 2.24x10^{28} m^{-3}[/tex].

Then I'm asked to compare the density found with aluminiums true density of [tex]2700 kg m^{-3}[/tex] and explain any difference.
My density is just the atom density multiplied by the atomic mass (assuming the mass is just contained within the aluminium).
Therefore
[tex]/rho = n m(amu) = n = 2.24x10^{28} * (27 / 6.022x10^{26})) = 1000 kg m^{-3}[/tex].

There in lies my problem. I'd expect my approximations to overestimate the density if anything.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there anyway my density could be right? Maybe some assumption of the debye model I'm not aware of. I've got the formulas straight out the textbook I don't see how it could be wrong and it's the right order of magnitude.
 
Just had a thought is the atom density n, the number of molecules vibrating at [tex]{\omega_m}[/tex] / volume. Guess that would explain why the density is significantly lower, since many atoms won't be vibrating at [tex]{\omega_m}[/tex].