What is the average annual accumulation of cosmic dust on Earth?

In summary, accumulation refers to the depth of dust on the Earth's surface and only includes solid particles, not gas or liquid. The mass of dust accumulating per year is approximately 4x107kg, with a density of 3-5×103kg/m3. The fraction of rock compared to other materials is insignificant on such a small scale.
swampwiz
By "accumulation", I mean depth at the Earth's surface (i.e., whatever volume it is would be divided up the surface area). This dust would be from anything (e.g., meteors, stardust, etc.), but would only count stuff that ends up as dust (i.e., no gas or liquid). I guess a follow-on question would be how much water collects.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Have you tried an internet search?

The mass is 4x107kg/year according to this paper (which is linked off the Wikipedia page on cosmic dust, so you should have been able to find easily). The Earth's surface area is something like 5×1014m2, so around 10-7kg/m2/year. Typical density of rock is around 3-5×103kg/m3, for a depth of less than 10-10m/year. On that scale, what fraction is or isn't rock really isn't important.

PeroK said:
Have you tried an internet search?
It's swampwiz. So no.

We should be honored to always be his first stop.

• Haha
Likes PeroK and Motore

1. What is cosmic dust?

Cosmic dust, also known as space dust, is made up of tiny particles of matter that are found throughout the universe. These particles can range in size from a few molecules to grains of sand.

2. How does cosmic dust accumulate on Earth?

Cosmic dust accumulates on Earth through various means, such as meteorite impacts, solar wind, and interstellar dust clouds. These particles are constantly bombarding our planet and can be found in the atmosphere, on the surface, and even in our bodies.

3. What is the average size of cosmic dust particles?

The average size of cosmic dust particles is about 0.1 micrometers. However, they can range in size from nanometers to millimeters.

4. How much cosmic dust accumulates on Earth each year?

The amount of cosmic dust that accumulates on Earth each year is estimated to be around 40,000 tons. This may seem like a large amount, but it is actually a very small fraction of the total weight of Earth.

5. What is the impact of cosmic dust on Earth?

Cosmic dust has a variety of impacts on Earth, both positive and negative. It plays a crucial role in the formation of stars and planets, but it can also affect our climate and weather patterns. Additionally, cosmic dust can contain organic molecules that could potentially have contributed to the development of life on Earth.