Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the axis label for the fourth dimension?

1. Dec 25, 2012 #1

Jow

I have a quick question. On a typical cartesian coordinate system you have the x-axis and y-axis for two dimensions and the z-axis for the third. What would you label the axis representing the fourth dimension?

I know this is a bit of a silly and unimportant question, but I was thinking about function notation (ie: f(x), f(x,y) , f(x,y,z)) and I was wondering what would come next; f(x,y,z,?)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2012 #2
    w is the usual convention, but you CAN call it whatever you want.

4. Dec 26, 2012 #3
    Fourth dimension is frequently time--denoted with letter t.

5. Dec 26, 2012 #4
    Physics frequently deals with time-like dimensions, but this isn't particularly common or useful in mathematics, and "time" as a dimension behaves differently than what the OP is asking about. When dealing with, say, Euclidean 4-space, Mandelbroth is right that w is the usual convention, but it's fairly common to just use, say, an indexed family of x's (i.e. x1 ... x4).

6. Dec 27, 2012 #5

Jow

Thanks for the answer. It was bugging me because google was not being helpful.

7. Dec 29, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Google is seldom helpful if you cannot pose a specific question- GIGO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook