What is the balanced half reaction for MnO4 and VO in redox reactions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LakeMountD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reactions Redox
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 13K views
LakeMountD
Messages
59
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Identify the oxidizing agent and the reducing agent and write a balanced equation for each half reaction.
MnO4(1-) + VO(2+) ----> Mn(2+) + V(OH)4 (1+)


Homework Equations


None.


The Attempt at a Solution


I know how to do these when there is just one atom. However, when there are molecules such as MnO4 I get confused.

So would the oxidizing agent be VO or just V?

Would the Half reaction for that be:

MnO4(1-) + 3 e- ----> Mn(2+) ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
the half reaction for MnO4- is: MnO4- (aq) + 8H+ (aq) + 5e- <-> Mn2+ (aq) + 4H2O (l)

i would say V4+ is the reducing agent as its oxidation state goes from 4+ to 5+ thus being oxidised and the oxygen has the same -2 oxidation state through the eqn, although I am not 100% sure