Best Derivation of E=mc^2 - Fdx = V^2 dm

• I
  • Thread starter JLT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary: The first one is wrong and the second one is right. Not sure if that is the sort of relationship you are referring to.
JLT
TL;DR Summary
best derivation
F= V dm/dt = V (dm/dx)(dx/dt) = V^2 (dm/dx)
Fdx = V^2 dm
E = m v^2. ,mass flowing with constant velocity

If velocity is changing rather than mass, then E = 1/2 m V^2

Ok, joking aside, what is the best derivation of E= mc^2 ?

• Skeptical
Likes Vanadium 50 and malawi_glenn
Physics news on Phys.org
What does "best" mean?

(one dimensional case) start with relativistic momentum ##p = \gamma(u) m u##
Force: ##F_\text{res} = \dfrac{\mathrm{d} p}{\mathrm{d} t} = \dfrac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t} (m\gamma(u) u) = ma\gamma(u)^3## where ##a## is the acceleration.
##\displaystyle \int a \gamma(u)^3 \mathrm{d} x = c^2\gamma(u) + C##
Work: ##\displaystyle W_\text{tot} = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} F_\text{res} \mathrm{d} x = m\int_{x_1}^{x_2} a \gamma^3 \mathrm{d} x = mc^2\cdot \gamma (u(x_2)) -mc^2\cdot \gamma(u(x_1)) =mc^2\cdot \gamma (u_2) -mc^2\cdot \gamma(u_1) ##
Work is defined as change in kinetic energy, and kinetic energy ##E_\text{k}## at a given instant is defined as the work needed to bring particle to a certain speed ##u_2## from rest ##u_1=0##.
Thus, we have ##E_\text{k} = m\gamma(u) c^2 - mc^2##.
The last term ##mc^2## can be interpreted as "rest energy" and therefore the ##m\gamma(u) c^2 ## as the total energy ##E_\text{tot}##

Last edited:
Likes topsquark, Orodruin and PeroK
malawi_glenn said:
What does "best" mean?

(one dimensional case) start with relativistic momentum ##p = \gamma(u) m u##
Force: ##F_\text{res} = \dfrac{\mathrm{d} p}{\mathrm{d} t} = \dfrac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t} (m\gamma(u) u) = ma\gamma(u)^3##
##\displaystyle \int a \gamma(u)^3 \mathrm{d} x = c^2\gamma(u) + C##
Work: ##\displaystyle W_\text{tot} = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} F_\text{res} \mathrm{d} x = m\int_{x_1}^{x_2} a \gamma^3 \mathrm{d} x = mc^2\cdot \gamma (u(x_2)) -mc^2\cdot \gamma(u(x_1)) ##
Darn, I'm on my phone, cannot see posted equations.

Best? Occam's razor kind of best.

JLT said:
Best? Occam's razor kind of best.
E = mc^2 is also not even the full story. It is a special case of something having zero speed as measured in a certain frame of reference.

Likes topsquark
malawi_glenn said:
E = mc^2 is also not even the full story. It is a special case of something having zero speed as measured in a certain frame of reference.
No aether, what was it- splitting light and bouncing back no matter how the thing is rotated with respect to the rotating earth that is flying around the sun.

I'm on vacation, just looking for book suggestions.

JLT said:
No aether, what was it- splitting light and bouncing back no matter how the thing is rotated with respect to the rotating earth that is flying around the sun.

I'm on vacation, just looking for book suggestions.

There are plenty of threads where people are asking for book recommendations regarding learning special relativity.
I can suggest the book by Morin https://scholar.harvard.edu/david-morin/special-relativity

Likes vanhees71, topsquark and JLT
JLT said:
TL;DR Summary: best derivation

Ok, joking aside, what is the best derivation of E= mc^2 ?
IMO, the best derivation is to derive the four-momentum and then define its norm to be mass.

Likes topsquark, JLT, robphy and 1 other person
Is there any relationship between:
E = m v^2
and E = Pressure*Volume?

PV = (density *Volume) * velocity^2
Pressure=density*velocity^2
almost starts looking like Bernoilli's equation.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
JLT said:
E = m v^2
and E = Pressure*Volume?
The first one is wrong and the second one is right. Not sure if that is the sort of relationship you are referring to.
JLT said:
It looks like you are just throwing letters and equal signs randomly on a wall.

Likes Tom.G, Mark44 and topsquark
Sorry, on my phone without equation editor. Instead of E=m c^2, could be E=mv^2 where v is any constant velocity of any fluid. See original post, a chain rule, its a mass flow rate equation.

JLT said:
E = m v^2
and E = Pressure*Volume?

Of course, for dimensional reasons, one can see resemblances to possibly familiar equations.
While these may hint at connections from relativistic objects,
the appropriate path is to study the relativistic versions of those familiar equations:
e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=relativistic+kinetic+theory
https://www.google.com/search?q=relativistic+fluids
https://www.google.com/search?q=relativistic+statistical+mechanics

...but this is moving away from the original question.

Likes Ibix, PeroK and topsquark
JLT said:
could be E=mv^2 where v is any constant velocity of any fluid. See original post, a chain rule, its a mass flow rate equation.
None of this has anything to do with ##E = m c ^2##.

Likes Vanadium 50 and topsquark
JLT said:
Occam's razor kind of best.
By that you mean the derivation that requires the fewest starting assumptions?
Most derivations start with two straightforwardly stated and universally applicable assumptions, namely Einstein’s postulates. From there it's just logic and a lot of high school math.

However it is a lot of that high school math. @malawi_glenn's post #2 in this thread follows the same path that Einstein and his contemporaries took to get to ##E=mc^2## from the postulates, but there's a fair amount of preliminary work required to get to where we can set up the integral. In #7 @Dale uses the norm of the four-vector, an approach that is much more aligned with modern thinking, but again there's a lot of preliminary work required to get to that four-vector formulation. I was tempted to post my "simplest" derivation: Set ##p=0## in the general relationship between mass, energy, and speed/momentum:$$E^2=(m_0c^2)^2+(pc)^2$$but of course that just invites the question, where did that relationship come from? And the answer is the same as for the other two: Start with Einstein's postulates and do a lot of high school math.

There's no way of getting to ##E=mc^2## without understanding all of special relativity, the same way that I can't fill the house with the delicious smell of a baking cake without actually baking a cake. That makes MalawiGlen's second answer, the one in #6, perhaps the most useful one.

• Informative
Likes topsquark, Dale and malawi_glenn
Nugatory said:
the same way that I can't fill the house with the delicious smell of a baking cake without actually baking a cake
You can borrow my wife :oldbiggrin: (or at least her perfume)

• Haha
Likes topsquark
malawi_glenn said:
You can borrow my wife :oldbiggrin: (or at least her perfume)
...but can she derive ##E=mc^2##?

Likes topsquark
Ibix said:
...but can she derive ##E=mc^2##?
She can memorize it for sure, but she can not understand a single step :sorry:
But her perfume, I promise every day I get back from work I swear I think she has made newly baked cinnemon buns 🥐

Likes topsquark
Dale said:
IMO, the best derivation is to derive the four-momentum and then define its norm to be mass.
What do you mean by derive the four-momentum?

martinbn said:
What do you mean by derive the four-momentum?
I mean construct it and show that it is a four-vector.

Likes topsquark

1. What is the significance of the equation E=mc^2?

The equation E=mc^2, also known as the mass-energy equivalence equation, is one of the most famous and important equations in physics. It states that energy (E) is equal to the mass (m) of an object multiplied by the speed of light (c) squared. This equation shows that mass and energy are interchangeable and that a small amount of mass can be converted into a large amount of energy.

2. How was the equation E=mc^2 derived?

The equation E=mc^2 was derived by Albert Einstein in 1905 as part of his theory of special relativity. He used the principles of the theory, such as the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of motion, to come up with the equation. He also used the famous equation E=hf, which relates energy (E) to frequency (f) of a photon, and combined it with the equation for the momentum of a photon, p=hf/c, to arrive at E=mc^2.

3. What is the equation Fdx = V^2 dm used for?

The equation Fdx = V^2 dm is known as the relativistic equation of motion and is used to describe the motion of a particle in a changing gravitational field. It relates the force (F) acting on an object to its change in momentum (dm) and the change in velocity (dx). This equation is important in understanding the effects of gravity on objects moving at high speeds.

4. How is the equation E=mc^2 related to Fdx = V^2 dm?

The equation E=mc^2 and Fdx = V^2 dm are both derived from the principles of special relativity. In fact, the equation E=mc^2 can be seen as a special case of Fdx = V^2 dm, where the force (F) is equal to the mass (m) multiplied by the acceleration (V^2/c^2) due to gravity. Both equations show the relationship between energy, mass, and motion in the context of relativity.

5. What are the practical applications of E=mc^2 and Fdx = V^2 dm?

The equation E=mc^2 has numerous practical applications, including in nuclear energy, where it is used to calculate the amount of energy released in a nuclear reaction. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as PET scans. The equation Fdx = V^2 dm has applications in space travel and understanding the effects of gravity on objects moving at high speeds. It is also used in the study of black holes and other extreme astronomical phenomena.