What is the best sterilization method for this growing medium?

In summary, the speaker has a 1l solution of Murashige and Skoog micro- and macro-nutrients, along with vitamins and hormones. They are uncertain about the stability and autoclavability of some of the compounds. They ask for help with sterilization options, with filter sterilization being unavailable. The expert suggests using an autoclave or contacting the manufacturer for pre-sterilized nutrients, as UV sterilization may degrade the nutrients. They also mention that none of the nutrients should stick to a 0.22 um pore filter.
Termotanque
I have a 1l solution of Murashige and Skoog micro- and macro-nutrients. It also contains the vitamins and some hormones. The complete list is copied below. I emphasized the compounds that I think are the most unstable ones. Are the compounds listed autoclavable? I have anecdotal reports of only IAA not being autoclavable. Can you help me?

I want to sterilize this solution. Should I go with an autoclave? If so, for how long? Maybe UVC sterilization? Filter sterilization is not an option since I don't have access to a well-equipped lab.

Micro-nutrients:
* Ammonium nitrate (NH4NO3) 1,650 mg/l
* Boric acid (H3BO3) 6.2 mg/l
* Calcium chloride (CaCl2 · 2H2O) 440 mg/l
* Cobalt chloride (CoCl2 · 6H2O) 0.025 mg/l
* Magnesium sulfate (MgSO4 · 7H2O) 370 mg/l
* Cupric sulfate (CuSO4 · 5H2O) 0.025 mg/l
* Potassium phosphate (KH2PO4) 170 mg/l
* Ferrous sulfate (FeSO4 · 7H2O) 27.8 mg/l
* Potassium nitrate (KNO3) 1,900 mg/l
* Manganese sulfate (MnSO4 · 4H2O) 22.3 mg/l
* Potassium iodide (KI) 0.83 mg/l
* Sodium molybdate (Na2MoO4 · 2H2O) 0.25 mg/l
* Zinc sulfate (ZnSO4·7H2O) 8.6 mg/l
* Na2EDTA · 2H2O 37.2 mg/l

Macro-nutrients:
* i-Inositol 100 mg/l
* Niacin 0.5 mg/l
* Pyridoxine · HCl 0.5 mg/l
* Thiamine · HCl 0.1 mg/l
* IAA 1–30 mg/l
* Kinetin 0.04–10 mg/l
* NAA
* BAP
* Glycine (recrystallized) 2.0 g/l
* Sucrose 20 g/l
* Agar 10 g/l

Biology news on Phys.org
I would expect UV sterilization to degrade the nutrients. I would just filter the solution through a 0.22 um pore filter- it's really not that difficult to set up. AFAIK, none of your nutrients will stick to the filter.

also, the mfgr's of your macro nutrients most certainly can tell you how, or even supply you with previously-sterilized quantities

What is the best sterilization method for this growing medium?

The best sterilization method for a growing medium depends on several factors, including the type of medium, the intended use, and the organisms present. Some common sterilization methods include heat, chemical disinfectants, and irradiation.

Does heat sterilization effectively kill all microorganisms in the growing medium?

Heat sterilization can be an effective method to kill most microorganisms in a growing medium, but it may not be suitable for all types of mediums. Some heat-sensitive organisms may survive the process, and repeated heating can also affect the physical and chemical properties of the medium.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of chemical disinfection for sterilizing a growing medium?

Chemical disinfection can be a quick and efficient method to sterilize a growing medium. However, certain chemicals may be harmful to plants or may leave residues that can affect growth. It is essential to carefully select the appropriate disinfectant and follow recommended application rates.

Is irradiation a safe and effective method for sterilizing growing mediums?

Irradiation can be a highly effective method for sterilizing growing mediums, as it can eliminate a wide range of microorganisms without affecting the physical properties of the medium. However, there may be concerns about the safety of using irradiation on food crops, so it is important to follow recommended guidelines and regulations.

Are there any alternative methods to sterilize a growing medium?

Yes, there are some alternative methods for sterilizing growing mediums, such as using steam, hot water, or biological agents. However, the effectiveness of these methods may vary, and it is essential to carefully consider the specific needs of the medium and intended use before choosing an alternative sterilization method.

Back