What is the best way to approach solving this bungee jumping problem?

• Thread starter lily55934
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bungee
In summary: No, they don't stretch a distance x. The length of the double spring is twice the length of the shorter spring.
lily55934

Homework Statement

A daredevil plans to bungee jump from a balloon 65.0m above the ground. He will use a uniform elastic cord, tied to a harness around his body, to stop his fall at point 10.0m above the ground. Model his body as a particle and the cord as having negligible mass and obeying Hooke❝s law. In a preliminary test he finds that when hanging at rest from a 5.00-m length of the cord, his body weight stretches it by 1.50 m. he will drop from rest at point where the top end of a longer section of the cord is attached to the stationary balloon. (a)What length of cord should he use? (b) What maximum acceleration will he experience?

Homework Equations

Potential energy = mgh
Spring potential energy = kx^2/2
Spring force = kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using conservation of energy to find the spring constant k. I said the stretched length of the short cord was h1 and the distance it stretched was x1:

mgh1 = kx1^2/ 2 => k = (2mgh1) / x1^2

I did the same with the longer cord:

mgh2 = kx2^2 / 2 => x2^2 = 2mg(h2) / k

Then I replaced k with what I found:

x2^2 = 2mg(h2) / (2mg(h1)/x1^2) => x2^2 = 2mg(h2) x1^2 / 2mg(h1) = (h2) x1^2 / h1

Is what I did right or not at all? I'm very confused about this problem, thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
lily55934 said:

Homework Statement

A daredevil plans to bungee jump from a balloon 65.0m above the ground. He will use a uniform elastic cord, tied to a harness around his body, to stop his fall at point 10.0m above the ground. Model his body as a particle and the cord as having negligible mass and obeying Hooke❝s law. In a preliminary test he finds that when hanging at rest from a 5.00-m length of the cord, his body weight stretches it by 1.50 m. he will drop from rest at point where the top end of a longer section of the cord is attached to the stationary balloon. (a)What length of cord should he use? (b) What maximum acceleration will he experience?

Homework Equations

Potential energy = mgh
Spring potential energy = kx^2/2
Spring force = kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using conservation of energy to find the spring constant k. I said the stretched length of the short cord was h1 and the distance it stretched was x1:

mgh2 = kx2^2 / 2 => x2^2 = 2mg(h2) / k

Then I replaced k with what I found:

x2^2 = 2mg(h2) / (2mg(h1)/x1^2) => x2^2 = 2mg(h2) x1^2 / 2mg(h1) = (h2) x1^2 / h1

Is what I did right or not at all? I'm very confused about this problem, thanks for your help!

For the 5 meter cord what is the force given by the problem?

lily55934 said:

The information regarding the 5m cord does not involve any transformation of energy. The mass does not fall distance h1, or any distance. This is just hanging at equilibrium.
lily55934 said:
Be careful here. A spring constant is a property of a specific spring, not of the material of which it is made. A spring of twice the length has a different constant.

Hello, thanks a lot for your help :-)
So if I understand well when the jumper is hanging at equilibrium I should use Newton to find k? Sum of forces = kx-mg => k= mg/x
But I'm still lost about the other part of the problem, because now there are 2 things I don't know (the spring constant for the longer cord and its length, I only know the stretched length). How can I find the spring constant for a rope twice the length for example? Is is k/2? How can I find the ratio between the 2 cords when the lengths I know are completely different (one is at equilibrium (5+1.5m) and the other not (55m))? Please help, it's been several weeks, and I still don't understand anything :(

lily55934 said:
How can I find the spring constant for a rope twice the length for example? Is is k/2?
Suppose two identical ropes of spring constant k are tied end to end. A tension T is applied to them. How far does each stretch?

Do they each stretch a distance x? So the double spring stretches 2x, and F=2kx, and the k of the 2 ropes is half the k of one shorter rope?

lily55934 said:
Do they each stretch a distance x? So the double spring stretches 2x, and F=2kx, and the k of the 2 ropes is half the k of one shorter rope?
Yes.

1. What is the physics behind bungee jumping?

The physics behind bungee jumping involves potential and kinetic energy. As the jumper falls, their potential energy decreases while their kinetic energy increases. When the bungee cord reaches its maximum stretch, the kinetic energy is converted back into potential energy, causing the jumper to bounce back up. The cord then continues to stretch and contract until the jumper comes to a complete stop.

2. How do you calculate the length of the bungee cord needed for a safe jump?

The length of the bungee cord needed for a safe jump depends on factors such as the jumper's weight, the distance between the jump platform and the ground, and the desired bounce height. The formula for calculating the length is L = (2h + D) / 2, where L is the length of the cord, h is the desired bounce height, and D is the distance between the jump platform and the ground. It is important to also factor in a safety margin when calculating the length of the cord.

3. What safety precautions should be taken for bungee jumping?

Bungee jumping companies should follow strict safety protocols, such as regularly inspecting and replacing the bungee cords, testing the equipment before each jump, and having experienced personnel overseeing the jumps. Jumpers should also follow all instructions given by the staff and refrain from any risky behaviors, such as jumping too close to the ground or trying to do flips.

4. Is bungee jumping safe?

Bungee jumping can be safe if proper precautions are taken and the equipment is well-maintained. However, there is always a risk involved with any extreme sport. It is important for jumpers to be aware of the potential dangers and make an informed decision before participating.

5. Can anyone bungee jump?

In general, bungee jumping companies have weight and age restrictions for jumpers. It is important for individuals to be in good health and not have any pre-existing medical conditions that could put them at risk. It is always recommended to consult with a doctor before participating in any extreme sports.