What is the Bias Point (VDS, IDS) in a MOSFET Circuit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Jalo
Messages
117
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Given the following circuit find the bias point (VDS,IDS).

30b2pad.png


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



The first thing I did was find the value of VG, the voltage from the gate of the mosfet to the -VDD source.

VG = VDD * R2/(R1+R2)

To find the current IDS I needed the voltage from the gate to the source, VGS, which is:

VGS = VG - RsID

Since we're operating in the saturation region I can replace ID by:
VGS = VG - Rsk(VGS-VT)^2 (1+λVDS)

where VDS is the voltage between the drain and the source.
I also know that:
V[SIZE="1"]DS = 2V[SIZE="1"]DD - (R[SIZE="1"]d+R[SIZE="1"]s)I[SIZE="1"]D

This is as far as I can get. I'm a little confused regarding what I should do next.

If anyone could help I'd appreciate.

Thanks.
Daniel.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jalo said:

Homework Statement



Given the following circuit find the bias point (VDS,IDS).

30b2pad.png


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



The first thing I did was find the value of VG, the voltage from the gate of the mosfet to the -VDD source.

VG = VDD * R2/(R1+R2)



Not a good start. Need to fix that first.
 
rude man said:
Not a good start. Need to fix that first.

Sorry, I meant to write 2VDD instead of only VDD.
 
Jalo said:


To find the current IDS I needed the voltage from the gate to the source, VGS, which is:

VGS = VG - RsID



That equation is also wrong.

You're having trouble with that "-V_DD".
 
rude man said:
That equation is also wrong.

You're having trouble with that "-V_DD".

Thanks! I finally got it right.


VG = VDD (R2-R1)/(R2+R1)
VGS = VG - RsID + VDD

ID = k(VGS-VT)2

Replacing VGS in the expression (1) I managed to find the correct solution. I still have one doubt tho.
The value of λ is very small, only 0.02 V-1. When the value is that low can I simply ignore it and solve the problem as if it was zero?
 
Jalo said:
Thanks! I finally got it right.


VG = VDD (R2-R1)/(R2+R1)
VGS = VG - RsID + VDD

ID = k(VGS-VT)2

Replacing VGS in the expression (1) I managed to find the correct solution. I still have one doubt tho.
The value of λ is very small, only 0.02 V-1. When the value is that low can I simply ignore it and solve the problem as if it was zero?

OK now.
Since you were given a number for lambda I would retain those values in your answer.