What is the biomolecule with a characteristic hydrogen to oxygen ratio?

  • Topic: Chemistry 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Ed Aboud
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Ed Aboud
Messages
200
Reaction score
0
[tex]C_x (H_2 O)_y[/tex]
What biomolecule is this?
At first I thought carbohydrate but the ratio of hydrogen to carbon is not necessarily 2:1.
And then I said lipid, but then the hydrogen and oxygen are in a ratio of 2:1.
Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sucrose has 22 hydrogens and 12 carbons, which does not yield a hydrogen to carbon ratio of 2:1. Is sucrose still a carbohydrate?

I believe the answer to this question will provide you with the answers you need.
 
Oh ok, I just wasn't sure.
So it only depends on the ratio of hydrogen to oxygen?
 
Right. It's a carbohydrate - you can distinguish it by the characteristic hydrogen to oxygen ratio.