What is the Change of Length for a Hanging Steel Cable?

  • Thread starter Thread starter brainslush
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hole Rope
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
brainslush
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A rope (steel cable) is hanging in an empty hole. What is the change of length?
L = 9km
[tex]E_{steel}[/tex] = 2 · 1011 N/m2
[tex]p_{steel}[/tex] = 7.8 · 103 kg/m3

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Well, I thought that the cable could also be considered as a spring. I found in another thread that the change of length of a hanging spring is
[tex] k \,dx = \bigg( \frac{l}{L_0} \bigg) g \, dm[/tex]

[tex] dx = \frac{gl}{L_0 k} \frac{M}{L_0} \, dl[/tex]

[tex] dx = \frac{Mgl}{{L_0}^2 k} \, dl[/tex]

[tex] x = \frac{Mg}{{L_0}^2 k} \int_0^{L_0} l \, dl[/tex]

[tex] x = \frac{Mg}{{L_0}^2 k} \frac{{L_0}^2}{2}[/tex]

[tex] x = \frac{Mg}{2k}[/tex]

I understood this part so far.

but I'm not sure whether my reconstruction is correct.

[tex]x = \frac{g\rho_{steel}L^{2}}{2E_{steel}}[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To solve this problem, use the formula for Young's modulus, which can be rearranged to read:
[tex]\Delta L = \frac {F L_0}{A_0 E}[/tex]
where A0 is the cross-sectional area.To solve this for a cable with a continuous mass distribution, the formula becomes:
[tex]\Delta L = \int_0^{L_0} \frac{FdL}{A_0E}[/tex]The force is equal to the density times the volume, or:
[tex]F = \rho A_0 L_0 g[/tex]When integrating this upward from the bottom of the cable, the force term becomes:
[tex]F = \rho A_0 L g[/tex]
where L is the amount of cable below the point in question.Substituting this into the formula for a cable of continuous mass distribution:
[tex]\Delta L = \int_0^{L_0} \frac{\rho L g}{E}dL[/tex]
the A0 terms, of course, cancel each other out.And finally, integrating gives us:
[tex]\Delta L = \frac{\rho {L_0}^2 g}{2E}[/tex]

The same as your reconstruction.

I hope this helps,
Beaker87