Loren Booda
- 3,115
- 4
What is the closest you have come to dying?
My wife is allergic to albumen - the vehicle in which most shots (including the flu shot) are delivered.SticksandStones said:I once had a severe allergic reaction to, of all things, an allergy shot.
what said:I moved into a new house when I was 8 years old. Before we got our stuff in, there was a new kitchen cabinet set being assembled. In particular, there was a very narrow pantry storage cabinet that was 2 ft across, by 8 ft tall, and it was standing in the middle of the living room.
I opened it up, and at the bottom lay a manual, so got on my knees, and stuck my head inside to get it. Then I felt the cabinet tip with my head inside it. Luckily my dad was 5 ft away on a ladder screwing in a light bulb, and quickly got up and caught the cabinet in a split second before decapitating my head.
xxChrisxx said:Have you told this story before? Its very very familiar and I just had a massive sense of deja vu.
leroyjenkens said:My appendix exploded.
jobyts said:I've heard that's the most painful stomach problem one can have. But it's not life threatening, right?
I'm here. That was a clear win.DaveC426913 said:OK, turbo-1 wins.
I never faced near-death while technical climbing, but there were plenty of times that I was really exited and on-edge. My next-door neighbor in college was a climber who wrote for the Appalachian Mountain Club and he specialized in developing never-before-documented climbing routes. We got into some "interesting" situations.lisab said:Once, I was on what I thought was good rock, traversing a cliff about 15 meters high (rocks and surf below) when it gave out under me. As I slid down I instinctively went into spread-eagle position.
I still don't know how I stopped sliding after about 2 meters. It was a bit tricky getting off the cliff but I lived to tell about it, obviously.
jobyts said:I've heard that's the most painful stomach problem one can have. But it's not life threatening, right?
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/ApendicitisAppendicitis is a medical emergency, and if it is left untreated the appendix may rupture and cause a potentially fatal infection.
When I was 14. I was in the hospital 3 days before I "woke up". They thought I was going to die, temperature of 105F and not responding when I was taken to the emergency room. Then again when I was 20, they were afraid to remove my gallbladder, which they thought was the problem, because my vital signs were so bad, they didn't think I would survive surgery. Then within 24 hours I was perfectly normal and the ER surgeon told me that I wasn't a normal human.Loren Booda said:What is the closest you have come to dying?
Yeah it's life threatening, that's why the doctor got mad at me for letting it get so bad.jobyts said:I've heard that's the most painful stomach problem one can have. But it's not life threatening, right?
I keep rereading this looking for a punchline.Quincy said:When I was 4(I think), I almost died choking on a magnet, luckily my mom knew the Heimlich maneuver...