What is the Common Core method for solving 2x + 3x?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
So, the purpose was to introduce algebraic concepts to students at a young age. In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Common Core in a 6th grade math class, specifically adding 2x + 3x and how it relates to algebraic concepts.
mathdad
When we add 2x + 3x the answer is 5x.

Commore Core Way:

2x + 3x = what?

2 = 3 - 1

3 = 4 - 1

5 = 6 - 1

x = x^1

(3 -1)(x^1) + (4 - 1)(x^1)

Answer:

(6 - 1)(x^1)

Ridiculous! Agree?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You have repeatedly stated a number or things without giving any indication of where you got them. I have dealt with "common core" for some time and I have never seen anything like what you give. Where did you see this? Can you give a citation or, better, a "common core" website that says that?

I will say that what you give would be a ridiculous way to actually calculate, I could see it as a way of introducing students to algebraic ideas, relating the to arithmetic. Letting us see where you saw that would help us determine exactly what the purpose was.

My friend's daughter was given 2x + 3x to add for homework via Common Core in her 6th grade class.

1. What is the value of x in the equation 2x + 3x = what?

The value of x in this equation would depend on the context in which it is being used. If the equation is being used to solve for x, then the value of x would be the solution to the equation. However, if the equation is being used to represent a mathematical expression, then the value of x would be a variable that can take on any value.

2. How do you solve the equation 2x + 3x = what?

To solve this equation, we can combine the like terms on the left side of the equation, which would result in 5x. Then, we can isolate x by dividing both sides of the equation by 5. This would give us the solution x = what/5.

3. What is the difference between solving for x and using x as a variable in an equation?

Solving for x means finding the specific value of x that satisfies the equation, while using x as a variable means using it to represent an unknown value that can vary in different situations. In the equation 2x + 3x = what, solving for x would give us a specific numerical value, while using x as a variable would give us a general expression that can represent different values.

4. Can the equation 2x + 3x = what have more than one solution?

Yes, depending on the context, the equation 2x + 3x = what can have more than one solution. For example, if the equation is being used to solve for x, then there can be only one solution. However, if the equation is being used to represent a mathematical expression, then there can be infinite values of x that can satisfy the equation.

5. How can this equation be applied in real life scenarios?

This equation can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating the total cost of x items that cost $2 each and y items that cost $3 each, or determining the total distance traveled by a car that is moving at 2x km/h for the first hour and 3x km/h for the second hour. It can also be used in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to represent relationships between different variables.