What is the configuration (R or S) of these molecules?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
sd34
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
Hi. Can someone tell me which molecule is R or S?

For me, the first one is S and the second one is R.
244942
 
Attachments
  • 263BF8AF-42B9-4E98-8081-D828E334D234.jpeg
    263BF8AF-42B9-4E98-8081-D828E334D234.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 400
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think the first is R and the second is S.

Can you explain how you arrived at your answers?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sd34
mjc123 said:
I think the first is R and the second is S.

Can you explain how you arrived at your answers?

Yes, it’s correct.

Basically the mistake I made was that I gave the first priority to COOH instead of NH2 in the first molecule, whereas in the second one I forgot to switch from R to S.
 
Okay, I have another doubt.

Why the carbon on the right is S and not R?

Aren’t the priorities like this?
 
Attachments
  • 1B85574F-113B-4CFB-83A4-C8EFFB9A146F.jpeg
    1B85574F-113B-4CFB-83A4-C8EFFB9A146F.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 384
  • 97F8D43B-6C8E-4ECB-8140-18A643E7CD5E.jpeg
    97F8D43B-6C8E-4ECB-8140-18A643E7CD5E.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 395
You've forgotten the other C atom on the C 2 atoms from the stereocentre on the chain you labelled 2.
 
mjc123 said:
You've forgotten the other C atom on the C 2 atoms from the stereocentre on the chain you labelled 2.

Okay, but isn’t the priority still the same?
 
No, that C trumps the H on C2 on the other chain.
 
mjc123 said:
No, that C trumps the H on C2 on the other chain.

If it’s not too much of a trouble, could you redraw the molecule?