What is the correct moment of inertia for part a using I=m*r^2?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Sneakatone
Messages
318
Reaction score
0
for part a I used the equation I=m*r^2 ---> 120(58/100)^2=40.36 kg*m^2

b)I know how to do this using the equation K=1/2Iw^2 but my moment of inertia is incorrect.
 
Attachments
  • Screen shot 2013-04-11 at 1.17.30 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-04-11 at 1.17.30 PM.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 602
Physics news on Phys.org
Sneakatone said:
for part a I used the equation I=m*r^2 ---> 120(58/100)^2=40.36 kg*m^2

b)I know how to do this using the equation K=1/2Iw^2 but my moment of inertia is incorrect.
What is the moment of inertia of a uniform disk of mass, M, and radius, R ?
 
I used the equation 1/2MR^2 and got =20.18.
when I plugged everything into the KE equation I had 305.22 J but that is incorrect.
 
Sneakatone said:
I used the equation 1/2MR^2 and got =20.18.
when I plugged everything into the KE equation I had 305.22 J but that is incorrect.

What are the units for ω ?
 
Sneakatone said:
rev/s

The rotation rate is given you in rev/s, but what units does it need to be into plug it into the formula for KE?
 
I got it now it should be in rad/s for some reason I thought It was suppose to be rev/s.
Thank you all!