What is the correct way to calculate the discriminant in a quadratic equation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
yungman
Messages
5,741
Reaction score
291
I know for ##ax^2+bx+c=0##,
[tex]x=\frac{-b^+_-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

Using ##x^2-3x-4=0##, we know it is equal to ##(x+1)(x-4)=0##. So ##x=-1## or ##x=4##.

but using the formula:

[tex]x=\frac{-b^+_-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}=\frac{3^+_-\sqrt{9+4}}{2}=\frac{3^+_-\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex]

I cannot get -1 and 4! What happened?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
yungman said:
I know for ##ax^2+bx+c=0##,
[tex]x=\frac{-b^+_-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

Using ##x^2-3x-4=0##, we know it is equal to ##(x+1)(x-4)=0##. So ##x=-1## or ##x=4##.

but using the formula:

[tex]x=\frac{-b^+_-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}=\frac{3^+_-\sqrt{9+4}}{2}=\frac{3^+_-\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex]

I cannot get -1 and 4! What happened?

How are you calculating the discriminant [itex]\Delta = b^2-4ac[/itex]? Because you shouldn't be getting 13.
c = -4, not -1 which it seems that you've confused it for.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Mentallic said:
How are you calculating the discriminant [itex]\Delta = b^2-4ac[/itex]? Because you shouldn't be getting 13.
c = -4, not -1 which it seems that you've confused it for.

b=-3, a=1 and c=-4, so ##b^2-4ac##= 9+16=25.

Yes, I am missing the moon.

Thanks