1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the difference between carbon sink and reservoir?

1. Jun 21, 2015 #1
    I am trying to figure out the difference between a carbon sink and a carbon reservoir. The definition for a carbon sink from wikipedia is that “carbon sink is a natural or artificial reservoir that accumulates and stores some carbon-containing chemical compound for an indefinite period. ” And the definition for carbon reservoir is “ Carbon-storing natural feature (such as a forest or the land mass) that exchanges carbon with other reservoirs." My textbook says that mature forests are carbon reservoirs but they are not carbon sinks. So what is the difference between a carbon sink and a carbon reservoir on earth?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2015 #2
    I think it's given right in your definition: one accumulates and the other exchanges (which can be same as releases?). I assume a mature forest is one that is not growing very fast and therefore does not accumulate any more carbon but simply inhales it during the day and releases it back at night? But that is just a guess on my part.

4. Jul 4, 2015 #3
    I agree. A C sink tends to store carbon. A C reservoir will both store and release.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted