1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the domain of y = log [(4-t)^(2/3)] ?

1. Nov 18, 2013 #1
    Hello to all:

I was trying to solve the following question: what is the domain of the function y = log [(4-t)^(2/3)] for Real t. Here is my reasoning:

The domain of the log(x) is x>0.

I would have interpreted this question in terms of the log of the cubic root of (4-t)^2. Thus, I was thinking of the domain as the solution to the following inequality:

(4-t)^(2/3) > 0

The cubic root has the sign of the radicand and (4-t)^2 is positive for all t. The only restriction would be when 4-t=0 and this happens for t=4. Thus, my answer to the question is: the domain is ALL reals minus 4.

Apparently this is not the case as the answer to the problem is t<4. Now, I am suspecting this is because they are rewriting the function as: y=log[(2/3)*(4-t)] for which indeed the answer would be t<4.

So, I am really confused as to what is going on here. Do I always need to rewrite logarithmic functions to find their domains? Why? Please, help!!!

Thanks guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2013 #2
    Hi zacc...

The item in red should be y=(2/3)log(4-t)

Its not about rewriting the logarithmic functions.Rather it is about fulfilling the properties of the function.

We know that logban = nlogba .

Now,the domain of the given function needs to satisfy all the properties of logarithms .If you take domain to be R-{0} ,then clearly, the function is not defined for all the points of domain.More specifically ,the function is not defined for t≥4 .Hence,R-{0} cannot be the domain of the given function.

Whereas for t<4 ,the function is defined everywhere in the domain.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  4. Nov 18, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, it would be y = (2/3)log(4 - t), which is different from what you wrote, and has a domain of t < 4. Otherwise, your other work seems reasonable. If t = 4, (2/3)log[4 - t] and log[(4 - t)2/3] are undefined, but if t > 4, log[(4 - t)2/3] is defined, while (2/3)log(4 - t) is not.

Have you given us the complete problem? What's your reference that says that the domain is only t < 4?

5. Nov 18, 2013 #4
    Tanya and Mark: Indeed I made a mistake and I should have written y=(2/3)*log(t-4). That was my intention. Sorry about that but it was quite late at night when I was writing. Thanks for the correction.

Hi Tanya: Thanks for the reply. I still don't see why my original reasoning is flawed. That is, (t-4)2 is positive over all reals and so is its cubic root and thus its log should be defined But, please see below.

Mark: My only reference was asking the question to Wolframalpha: "what is the domain of the function y=log[(4-t)^(2/3)]" which returns t<4 as the answer. Requesting a plot of the function returns only the branch for t<4.

Tanya and Mark:

Now, I just realized that if I had asked Wolframalpha the question: what is the domain of the function y=log((t-4)^2) the answer in this case is all reals except 4. So, evidently the problem has to do with the way Wolframalpha handles the roots and maybe there is something that I am missing. If any of you have any insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

6. Nov 18, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The answer you got is a result of how WA handles fractional exponents. I think this is what WA is doing:
    $$(4 - t)^{2/3} = e^{ln(4 - t)^{2/3}} = e^{2/3 * ln(4 - t)}$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook