What is the E cell value for the following equation?

• Thread starter salman213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell Value
In summary, the conversation is about balancing a chemical equation and finding the E cell value for the reaction. The equation was balanced and it was mentioned that all that was left to do was to find the balanced equation in a textbook table to determine the E cell value. However, the reaction could not be found in the table and the person is asking for help in finding the E cell value. A link to a possible solution was provided.
salman213
IO3-(aq) ---> I2(s)

balanced the 2nd one to

12 H + 2IO3 + 5e- ---> I2 + 6H2O

can anyone tell me the Ecell value for this equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work from here. Do you know what to do from this step?

no thts the reason I am asking, from what we learned there isn't any more work to do

all i had to do was balance the half reaction equation and find that balanced one in the table in my textbook to find the E cell value for it... but i cannot find this reaction!

that is why I am asking how to find the E cell value now?

1. What is the E cell value?

The E cell value, also known as the cell potential or electromotive force, is a measure of the potential difference between the two half-cells in an electrochemical cell. It represents the driving force of the reaction and is a key factor in determining the feasibility of a reaction.

2. How is the E cell value calculated?

The E cell value is calculated by subtracting the reduction potential of the anode from the reduction potential of the cathode. This can be done using the Nernst equation, which takes into account the concentrations of the reactants and products in the cell.

3. Why is the E cell value important?

The E cell value is important because it determines whether a reaction will occur spontaneously or not. If the E cell value is positive, the reaction is thermodynamically favorable and will proceed spontaneously. If the E cell value is negative, an external source of energy is needed for the reaction to occur.

4. How does temperature affect the E cell value?

The E cell value is dependent on temperature, as indicated by the Nernst equation. As temperature increases, the E cell value decreases for exothermic reactions and increases for endothermic reactions. This is because temperature affects the equilibrium constant of the reaction, which in turn affects the cell potential.

5. What factors can influence the E cell value?

Aside from temperature, other factors that can influence the E cell value include the concentrations of the reactants and products, the nature of the electrodes and electrolyte solution, and the presence of catalysts or inhibitors. Changes in any of these factors can alter the E cell value and affect the rate and direction of the reaction.