What is the equation for the line with the same x-intercept as -2x + y = 1?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
mathdad
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
0
Find an equation of the line passing through (6, 2) and has the same x-intercept as the line -2x + y = 1. Express final answer in the form Ax + By + C = 0.

How do I find the x-intercept of the given line?

How do I express the final answer in the form given above?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Find an equation of the line passing through (6, 2) and has the same x-intercept as the line -2x + y = 1. Express final answer in the form Ax + By + C = 0.

How do I find the x-intercept of the given line?

How do I express the final answer in the form given above?

x intercept of a line is value of x when y = 0

for -2x + y = 1 we need to compute x when y= 0 we get $-2x = 1$ or $x= \frac{-1}{2}$. this is the x intercept
 
Great. I can take it from here. I suspected that letting y = 0 would yield the needed x-intercept but wanted to be sure.