How can I find the equation of a line given its x-intercept and y-intercept?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, if you are interested in the two-intercept form of a line, you can use the given intercepts to determine the slope, and then use the slope-intercept form.
mathdad
Find an equation of the line whose x-intercept is -6 and y-intercept is sqrt{6}.

1. The x-intercept is the point (-6, 0) and y-intercept can be written as the point (0, sqrt{6}).

Yes?

2. After finding my two points, I must find the slope.

True?

3. I then plug the slope and one of the points into the point-slope formula and solve for y.

Yes?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Find an equation of the line whose x-intercept is -6 and y-intercept is sqrt{6}.

1. The x-intercept is the point (-6, 0) and y-intercept can be written as the point (0, sqrt{6}).

Yes?

Yes.

RTCNTC said:
2. After finding my two points, I must find the slope.

True?

Yes.

RTCNTC said:
3. I then plug the slope and one of the points into the point-slope formula and solve for y.

Yes?

Yes.

It may interest you to know that the two-intercept form of a line may be written:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{a}+\frac{y}{b}=1\)

Where the $x$-intercept is $(a,0)$ and the $y$-intercept is $(0,b)$. If you're interested, see if you can derive the above formula...:)

MarkFL said:
It may interest you to know that the two-intercept form of a line may be written:

Where the $x$-intercept is $(a,0)$ and the $y$-intercept is $(0,b)$. If you're interested, see if you can derive the above formula...:)

To derive the formula, must I use the points (a,0) and (0,b)? Must I also use y = mx + b?

RTCNTC said:
To derive the formula, must I use the points (a,0) and (0,b)? Must I also use y = mx + b?

You can use the two given intercepts to determine the slope, and then use the slope-intercept form, yes.

The x-intercept is the point (-6, 0) and y-intercept can be written as the point (0, sqrt{6}).

Let m = slope

m = (sqrt{{6} - 0)/(0 -(-6))

m = sqrt{6}/6

I will use (-6,0).

y - 0 = (sqrt{6}/6)(x - (-6))

y = (sqrt{6}/6)(x + 6)

y = (sqrt{6})x + sqrt{6}

Correct?

MarkFL said:
You can use the two given intercepts to determine the slope, and then use the slope-intercept form, yes.

Let m = slope

m = (b - 0)/(0 - a)

m = b/-a

y = mx + b

y = (b/-a)x + b

Where do I go from here?

RTCNTC said:
Let m = slope

m = (b - 0)/(0 - a)

m = b/-a

y = mx + b

y = (b/-a)x + b

Where do I go from here?

Divide through by $b$...

Let m = slope

m = (b - 0)/(0 - a)

m = b/-a

y = mx + b

y = (b/-a)x + b

y/b = (b/-a)x(1/b) + (b/b)

y/b = -x/a + 1

(x/a) + (y/b) = 1

- - - Updated - - -

MarkFL said:

Can you give me an example using (x/a) + (y/b) = 1 to solve a problem?

RTCNTC said:
...Can you give me an example using (x/a) + (y/b) = 1 to solve a problem?

The problem you originally posted in post #1 would be such an example. :)

Cool. I will post several more questions from the David Cohen Precalculus 3rd Edition later tonight. I believe you also have this textbook.

1. What is the equation of a line?

The equation of a line is a mathematical representation of a straight line on a graph. It is typically in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept, which is the point where the line crosses the y-axis.

2. How do you find the equation of a line?

To find the equation of a line, you need to know at least two points on the line. You can then use the coordinates of these points to calculate the slope m using the formula m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1). Once you have the slope, you can plug it into the equation y = mx + b and solve for b using one of the points. This will give you the complete equation of the line.

3. What is the slope-intercept form of a line?

The slope-intercept form of a line is y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. This form is useful for graphing a line, as it tells you the slope and y-intercept of the line.

4. Can the equation of a line have fractions?

Yes, the equation of a line can have fractions. This often happens when the slope is not a whole number. For example, the equation of a line with a slope of 3/4 would be y = (3/4)x + b.

5. How does the equation of a line change if the line is horizontal or vertical?

If a line is horizontal, its slope is 0 and the equation becomes y = b, where b is the y-intercept. If a line is vertical, it has an undefined slope and the equation becomes x = a, where a is the x-intercept. In both cases, the line is still in the form of y = mx + b, but with special values for m and b.