What is the Equilibrium Position of a Pivoting Meter Stick?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hughng
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Oscillation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 4K views
Hughng
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A meter stick is free to pivot around a position located a distance x below its top end, where 0 < x < 0.50 m(Figure 1) .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I attached my note.
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 11.07.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 11.07.10 PM.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 954
  • IMG_0007.PNG
    IMG_0007.PNG
    177.1 KB · Views: 947
Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression for ##I## about the axis of rotation looks correct to me. Although I think I would have just used ##I = I_{cm} + Md^2## with ##I_{cm} = \frac{1}{12} M L^2##.

It appears to me that you have a mistake in the numerator of your expression inside the square root for ##\omega##. Review the general formula for ##\omega## and make sure you are interpreting the symbols correctly.
 
TSny said:
Your expression for ##I## about the axis of rotation looks correct to me. Although I think I would have just used ##I = I_{cm} + Md^2## with ##I_{cm} = \frac{1}{12} M L^2##.

It appears to me that you have a mistake in the numerator of your expression inside the square root for ##\omega##. Review the general formula for ##\omega## and make sure you are interpreting the symbols correctly.
I tried that approach but I failed. Am I annoying?
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 11.24.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 11.24.40 PM.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 918
Hughng said:
I tried that approach but I failed.
It should give the correct answer. If you show your work, we can identify any mistakes. Make sure you are interpreting ##d## correctly. ##d## also occurs in the numerator of ##\omega##.
Am I annoying?
Not at all.
 
TSny said:
It should give the correct answer. If you show your work, we can identify any mistakes. Make sure you are interpreting ##d## correctly. ##d## also occurs in the numerator of ##\omega##.
Not at all.
I think d is the distance from the center to the pivot point which is (1/2 - x)
 
Hughng said:
I think d is the distance from the center to the pivot point which is (1/2 - x)
Yes.
 
TSny said:
Yes.
Can you help me check out my steps please?
 
Attachments
  • IMG_0008.PNG
    IMG_0008.PNG
    162.2 KB · Views: 863
You are setting it up correctly, but you need to be more careful with simplifying the expressions. Try it again and take your time.

Also, note that ##\frac {d^2\theta}{dt^2}## is not the correct notation for ##\omega ^2##.
##\frac {d^2\theta}{dt^2}## is the angular acceleration of the rotational motion.
But ##\omega## is the angular frequency of the simple harmonic motion; i.e., ##\omega = \frac{2 \pi}{T}##, where ##T## is the period of the simple harmonic motion.
 
TSny said:
You are setting it up correctly, but you need to be more careful with simplifying the expressions. Try it again and take your time.

Also, note that ##\frac {d^2\theta}{dt^2}## is not the correct notation for ##\omega ^2##.
##\frac {d^2\theta}{dt^2}## is the angular acceleration of the rotational motion.
But ##\omega## is the angular frequency of the simple harmonic motion; i.e., ##\omega = \frac{2 \pi}{T}##, where ##T## is the period of the simple harmonic motion.
Yes I know that. I will take a look tomorrow again for my expression. Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. Have a good night!