What is the exact connection between Poisson brackets and commutators

In summary: I can think of a few reasons why this might be so. The first reason is that the commutators in quantum mechanics are not just a product of the Lie algebra and the Lie bracket, but are in fact a graded algebra. This means that the commutator is not just a single value, but actually depends on the structure of the Lie algebra that is being used. Second, the mathematical structures that underlie classical and quantum mechanics are not completely independent. The geometric structure of quantum phase space is necessary for classical mechanics to work, but it is not sufficient. The algebraic structure of classical mechanics is necessary for quantum mechanics to work, but it is not sufficient. The two structures are related, but they
snoopies622
I'm not perfectly clear on the connection between Poisson brackets in classical mechanics and commutators in quantum mechanics.
For any classical mechanical system, if I can find the Poisson bracket between two physical observables, is that always the value of the corresponding commutator in the quantum mechanical formulation of the same system (divided by [itex] i \hbar [/itex] )?
If so, there must be some mathematical reason for this. Some kind of homomorphism between the two systems, perhaps?
I know that Poisson brackets and commutators share some algebraic properties and that
Hamilton's [tex]

\frac{df}{dt}= \{ f,H \} + \frac { \partial {f} }{\partial {t}}

[/tex]

looks similar to Heisenberg's [tex]

\frac{d \hat{A} }{dt}= \frac {i}{\hbar} [ \hat{A},\hat{ H} ] + \frac { \partial { \hat{A} } }{\partial {t}} [/tex]

but for that method to work every time, it feels to me like there must be something more.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two main mathematical structures that you should look into. The first one is that of transformations of the system described by Lie groups and the corresponding Lie algebras. The Poisson brackets and commutators form the product of the Lie algebra, the so called Lie bracket.

The second structure comes from the geometric property of phase space that assures that geometric transformations need to preserve the phase space volume locally. This constraint makes the classical and quantum phase spaces poisson manifolds (and the classical one even a symplectic manifold), whose structure are characterised by a preserved canonical poisson bracket or commutator respectively.

The two structure are not independent. The latter implies that valid transformations of a system need to be symplectomorphisms. This partly determines the common mathematical structure of classical mechanics and quantum theory. However it is not a simple correspondence, because the geometry of quantum phase spaces is even more restrictive than that of classical ones. The additional structure in quantum theory is of course the non-commutativity of observables.

Methods for quantising classical systems need to map the classical symplectic geometry to the poisson geometry of the quantum system. This is simple only for very basic systems that are described by cartesian spatial coordinates and the conjugate momenta. Anything beyond that needs advanced quantisation method that address exactly the kind of correspondence you ask for. They are usually termed "geometric quantisation methods" and of particular interest to you might be the so called deformation quantisation. It takes the algebraic structure of classical mechanics and translates it to a deformed algebra with a continuous deformation parameter ##\hbar##.

I hope you have enough keywords now to start your own research.

Cheers,

Jazz

Likes snoopies622
Wow, thanks Jazz - much to look into here! In the meantime I will assume that the answer to my first question is, "yes".

What is the exact connection between Poisson brackets and commutators?

The exact connection between Poisson brackets and commutators is that they both represent the fundamental mathematical structure of classical mechanics. Poisson brackets are used to calculate the time evolution of physical quantities, while commutators are used to calculate the uncertainty in the measurement of these quantities.

How are Poisson brackets and commutators related to each other?

Poisson brackets and commutators are related to each other through the canonical quantization process. In this process, Poisson brackets are replaced by commutators to make the transition from classical mechanics to quantum mechanics. This allows for the incorporation of the uncertainty principle in the calculations.

Can Poisson brackets and commutators be used interchangeably?

No, Poisson brackets and commutators cannot be used interchangeably. They have different mathematical definitions and serve different purposes in classical and quantum mechanics. While Poisson brackets are used in classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of physical quantities, commutators are used in quantum mechanics to calculate uncertainties in the measurement of these quantities.

What are the key properties of Poisson brackets and commutators?

The key properties of Poisson brackets and commutators include linearity, anti-symmetry, and the Jacobi identity. Linearity means that both Poisson brackets and commutators are linear operations, while anti-symmetry means that they change sign when the order of the terms is reversed. The Jacobi identity ensures that the two operations are compatible with each other.

How are Poisson brackets and commutators used in Hamiltonian mechanics?

In Hamiltonian mechanics, Poisson brackets are used to calculate the equations of motion for a system, while commutators are used to calculate the uncertainty in the measurement of physical quantities. Poisson brackets are also used to define the Hamiltonian, which is a key concept in Hamiltonian mechanics. Commutators are used in the canonical quantization process to transition from classical mechanics to quantum mechanics.