What is the physical significance of Poisson brackets?

In summary, the Poisson bracket is a mathematical tool used in classical mechanics to describe the relationship between position and momentum coordinates. It is defined as the anti-commutator between these coordinates, and it has a physical interpretation as momentum generating a change in position. The Poisson bracket is motivated by its natural occurrence in classical mechanics and its role in describing the symplectic structure of phase space. However, there may be some confusion in its interpretation when compared to the quantum commutator. Further discussion and reading on its significance may help clarify its role in connecting classical and quantum observables.
"Don't panic!"
I know the definition of the Poisson bracket and how to derive elementary results from it, but I'm struggling to understand intuitively what they are describing physically? For example, the Poisson bracket between position [itex]q_{i}[/itex] and momentum coordinates [itex]p_{j}[/itex] is given by [tex]\lbrace q_{i},p_{j}\rbrace = \delta_{ij}[/tex]
but what is this describing physically? is it that momentum generates a change in position or is it something else?

Also, how is the Poisson bracket motivated? Is it a quantity that arises naturally which we define to be the Poisson bracket, or is it derived in some manner?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the link. I've actually already had a look at that thread and it didn't really help unfortunately.

I think part of the issue is how to interpret the fact that the Poisson bracket for position and momentum is non-zero, but these commute in classical mechanics (the confusion arising from the fact that people often seem to describe the Poisson bracket by comparing it to the quantum commutator)?!

This might help...
(it's been on my to-read list)
http://projecteuclid.org/euclid.cmp/1103907394
On the relation between classical and quantum observables (Abhay Ashtekar)

There's a geometrical interpretation involving the symplectic form in phase space... but I haven't absorbed it well enough to explain.

1. What is the definition of Poisson brackets?

Poisson brackets are a mathematical concept in classical mechanics that represents the fundamental relationship between two physical quantities, such as position and momentum, within a system. They are denoted by curly brackets { , } and are defined as the change in one quantity with respect to the other.

2. How are Poisson brackets used in physics?

Poisson brackets are used to describe the dynamics of a system by calculating the time evolution of physical quantities. They help determine the equations of motion and can be used to derive Hamilton's equations, which describe the evolution of a system in phase space.

3. What is the significance of Poisson brackets in Hamiltonian mechanics?

In Hamiltonian mechanics, Poisson brackets play a crucial role in expressing the equations of motion in terms of the Hamiltonian, which is a function that describes the total energy of the system. They also help determine the conserved quantities, such as energy and angular momentum, of a system.

4. How do Poisson brackets relate to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, Poisson brackets are replaced by commutators, which represent the fundamental relationship between physical quantities. The commutators are used to calculate the uncertainty in measurement of physical quantities and also play a role in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

5. Can Poisson brackets be extended to more than two variables?

Yes, Poisson brackets can be extended to any number of variables. They are used in the study of multi-dimensional systems and can be used to derive the equations of motion for each variable. They are also used in the study of chaos theory and non-linear systems.