What is the expected outcome of a pick 3 lotto if a ticket costs $\$2$?

In summary: After you have that, you would add .998 to the first number and 1 to the second number to get the expected value.
aprilryan
Hey all,

I'm so grateful I found this place! I would like some assistance with a pesky probability word problem. The problem is:

"A pick 3 lotto has a $\$1000$ prize. What is the expected outcome if a ticket costs $\$2$? (The probability of winning is .001)".

So far I got this:

x P(x)

1000 .001
-2 .999

I don't know where to go from here. Do i have to multiply or add?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Can someone help me with a probability word problem?

You're nearly there! A couple of thoughts:

1. Even if you win, you still paid two dollars. So the net income wouldn't be $\$1000$, would it?
2. Once you have the correct outcomes and probabilities, you would multiply the outcomes times their probabilities, and then add the results to get the expected value.

Thanks for your assistance.

Is this right?

I multiply 1000 times .001 and .999 times -2

Then after I multiply the two numbers, do I add -.998 and 1?

Almost correct! As Ackbach pointed out, your ticket still costs $2 \$ $. Therefore, if you win you still woud not have $1000 \$ $ but $? \$$, since you had to buy the ticket in the first place. Why do you want tot add $-0.998$ and $1$?

To think about: when you have the expected outcome you should always check if it is a realistic answer or not. In this case, the probability to win is very small and hence you expect a fairly low outcome. If your answer would be something like $900 \$ $ then you know there is something wrong in your calculations. However, if the question would have been: the probability to win is $1000 \$ $ is $10 \%$ then your expected outcome will be much higher etc... .

Thanks Ackbach and Siron. I'll try to figure this one out again. I'll let you know how it goes!

aprilryan said:
Thanks Ackbach and Siron. I'll try to figure this one out again. I'll let you know how it goes!

Any update?

The general answer would look like:
$$\text{Expected value}=P(\text{win}) \cdot (\text{prize})+P(\text{loss}) \cdot (\text{cost to play}) $$

Do I multiply .001 times 1000? Sorry can someone break it down step by step? I still don't get it.

Ok I think I got it. Took a while to process everything.

This would be the setup, correct? .001 * 1000 + 1 * 2

What is a probability word problem?

A probability word problem is a type of problem that involves using basic principles of probability to solve a real-world situation or scenario. These problems often require students to use mathematical formulas and logical reasoning to calculate the likelihood of an event occurring.

How do I solve a probability word problem?

To solve a probability word problem, you first need to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, you can use the given information to identify the sample space, determine the total number of possible outcomes, and calculate the probability of the desired event occurring. Finally, check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

What are some common strategies for solving probability word problems?

Some common strategies for solving probability word problems include creating a visual representation such as a tree diagram or a table, using counting techniques such as permutations and combinations, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

What are some key concepts to keep in mind when solving probability word problems?

When solving probability word problems, it is important to understand the difference between independent and dependent events, the concept of mutually exclusive events, and how to calculate probabilities using the addition and multiplication rules. It is also important to carefully consider the given information and make sure to use the correct formula or method for solving the problem.

Why is it important to practice solving probability word problems?

Practicing solving probability word problems helps to improve critical thinking and analytical skills, as well as develop a better understanding of basic principles of probability. These skills are not only useful in mathematics, but also in real-life situations where probability is involved, such as in decision making and risk assessment.