What is the expected value of attempting a field goal?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Coder74
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone!
I'm confused because 90% and 35% obviously do not add up to 100%
and as a result I'm really flustered! :C I appreciate the help and efforts of everyone on this website! :D
View attachment 6056
 
Attachments
  • Confused.JPG
    Confused.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 149
Physics news on Phys.org
Coder74 said:
Hello everyone!
I'm confused because 90% and 35% obviously do not add up to 100%
and as a result I'm really flustered! :C I appreciate the help and efforts of everyone on this website! :D

Hi Coder74!

Indeed, those do not add up to 100%.
I can only assume we have 90% chance to score a field goal and 10% chance to score nothing at all.
... unless we set our objective to a touchdown...
 
The question is "find the expected value of a field goal" (I would have said "the expected value of attempting a field goal") which means the probability of a touch down is irrelevant. A field goal has value 3 points and the probability of success is 0.9 so the "expected value" of attempting a field goal is (3)(0.9)= 2.7 points.