Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the fascination of chewing gum

1. Nov 5, 2015 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I was in a restaurant the other day with my GF her daughter and a six yr old boy, as lads do he was sitting on the floor under the table (bad manners yes but the boy has the mental age of three yr old.) any way he was very quite and we wondered why , he was picking gum from under the table, how filthy can some people be sticking their gum on there in the first place, i have never known why people chew gum it is a terrible habit.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2015 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Your post reminded me that the theory of elasticity is one of those classical topics that one day I would still like to learn more about. So, something good came out of gum chewing.

4. Nov 5, 2015 #3
    Glad that you said it before me. I wanted to say something similar but more about hard plastic. I love chewing gums, the harder the gum is the better and more it will help improve my facial muscles and aesthetics in general.
    Here is the information.

5. Nov 5, 2015 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Do your muscles need improving?i am sure i could find other ways to improve them, any way i bet you do not need it.

6. Nov 5, 2015 #5
    Definitely, I always need to improve mine badly.

7. Nov 5, 2015 #6

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I started wondering whether there are any people who inject anabolic steroids in their jaw muscles?

8. Nov 5, 2015 #7

wolram

Gold Member

So some people like chewing gumo0) but do they have to leave the remnants all over the place.

9. Nov 5, 2015 #8
    I'm glad if I could. :approve:

10. Nov 5, 2015 #9

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It wouldn't be good for you, Mr. Waffle. Please remain aesthetic as well as healthy.

11. Nov 5, 2015 #10
    I suspect subconscious territory marking behaviour (much like a dog taking a leak all over the place) possibly linked to recessive genes left over from an ancient primate ancestor. In some people.

12. Nov 8, 2015 #11

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And that is a minor benefit compared to the real benefit of chewing gum after a meal
    This being that it produces saliva and results in natural cleaning of teeth and gums
    benefit being .... fewer dental visits ... money saved :smile:

Dave

13. Nov 8, 2015 #12

Maylis

Gold Member

Somehow every table in college has many wads of gum underneath it, very gross

14. Nov 9, 2015 #13

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yeah totally disgusting :frown::frown:

15. Nov 9, 2015 #14
    ?:):DD

16. Nov 9, 2015 #15
    I've never seen chewing gum stuck to any surface before, at least not in my country. I'm from Singapore, which you all know to be 'anti-gum', so you get penalised for selling gum or depositing chewed gum in the wrong places. The law doesn't mind you bringing gum in or enjoying it, just don't stick gum under the table. :oldbiggrin:

17. Nov 10, 2015 #16
    It might improve your concentration, lower stress levels and freshen your breath.
    Sticking them under table or any other surface than trash bin is disgusting

18. Nov 13, 2015 #17

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you get caned by authorities for sticking gum somewhere or for littering the streets with it there in Singapore?

19. Nov 14, 2015 #18
    No, at least no one has been caned yet. It is a very common myth that you can be caned for chewing gum in Singapore, in reality you'll only be fined for sticking gum where it should not be. Wikipedia even has a whole article about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewing_gum_ban_in_Singapore

20. Nov 16, 2015 #19

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

People, in general, will like you more, if you chew gum.

Though, this video was produced by a chewing gum company, so, maybe not.

21. Nov 16, 2015 #20
    A straight face can't attract me either. The moving of the jaw may be the core of the attraction power, which gives me the impression that the one in front of me may be trying to say "Hey, it's cool, come on over, I have cookies and tea for you".
    By the way I do chew gum, and already registered that on PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook