What Is the Fastest Method to Cool 7 Gallons of Water in a Small Space?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Etude
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cool Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 18K views
Etude
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
I have around 7 gallons of water in a vessel with dimensions 0.3m by 0.3 m by 0.4m. Which of the following should be the fastest way to cool the water from around 100 degrees Celsius to room temperature?
1. Using cooling fans mounted on the top.
2. Using Coolworks Microchiller (not really sure is this pulls down temprature by so many degrees.)
3. Using a chiller with separate pre-chiller. A heat exchanger if u might say.
I have space restrictions as well of 0.3 m by 0.3 m by 0.2 m in which to fit the cooling part.
Any help or further ideas or suggestions welcome! :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Cooing fans blow heated air away allowing convective cooling - generally fastest.
To be effective you want to also increase the surface area the air flows over.
You cannot cool the water to less than the outside air temp.

However - how does the Coolworks Microchiller work?
http://www.marinedepot.com/CoolWork...rium_Chillers-CoolWorks-CW1131-FICHMC-vi.html
... oh it's a refrigerator with a pump - it pumps the water through a fridge inside the unit. I'd expect this to be the most effective approach of the ones mentioned.

The exact details will depend on how cool you need the water.
 
Thanx!

I won't need the water to be cooler than 25 degrees Celsius.

As regards the Microchiller, the thing confusing me is the line "This compact chiller can bring down the temperature in a 10 gallon aquarium up to 4-6 degrees." I am not very clear on what it means. Do you have any idea what the lower temperature limit for this chiller is?