What is the force on the resting ball from the two wooden boards?

  • Thread starter Thread starter joel amos
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
joel amos
Messages
104
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


View the file below. Disregarding friction, how much force does each board of wood put on the 100 N ball?
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg841/scaled.php?server=841&filename=physics.jpg&res=landing
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got 70.71 N by doing 100cos(45). I have no idea whether or not this is correct.
 
joel amos said:
I got 70.71 N by doing 100cos(45). I have no idea whether or not this is correct.

There are two boards exerting contact forces on the ball. Call these each F. Draw a free body diagram, and write down the equations in order for the ball to be in equilibrium.