Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the force on the trailer wall

1. Feb 25, 2016 #1
    Hello All,

I am a semi trailer manufacturer who just started building specialty trailers for various industries. Recently I have been asked to develop a trailer to carry peanuts from the farms and deliver them to ware house. To design the trailer light enough, i have decided to go with Composite panel, but manufacturer wants to know the force of the Unshelled peanuts, so they can suggest the right material for us. I have never done this, so I need help from bright minds like you. Here are the details.

Trailer storage area for peanuts is: 44' L x 102" W x 9' 6" H
    Unshelled Peanut weight per cubic feet is: 17.6 lb (approximate)

Unshelled Peanuts are equally distributed inside the trailer. So the force will be downward and sideways. I need to know the force on the sideways, so the right composite panel is used and supported in right places.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Pratap

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Feb 25, 2016 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's pretty sophisticated ! It will be quite a job to establish the proper values for all the variables in the Janssen equation 10-9. (This may help ?)
    However, from figure 10-7 you can see that the assumption that the material behaves as a liquid ("hydrostatic") at least gives an upper limit for the forces on the walls (fig 4-6 http://udel.edu/~inamdar/EGTE215/Hydrostatics.pdf [Broken]).

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Feb 25, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes - and for a trailer wall less than 10 ft high it is probably accurate enough in practice .

Note that many dry granular materials are very abrasive and you will sometimes see trailers with throw away polythene liners as protection .

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook