1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the form of the energy causing the action?

1. Jul 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For each thing or action listed in the first group, what is the form of the energy causing the action?"

Thing/Action
    ------------
    1.a longitudinal wave
    2.energy that causes static cling
    3.stored in objects lifted from a reference point
    4.propels a bolt from a crossbow
    5.depends on the object’s speed
    6.caused by friction
    7.released in a nuclear reactor
    8.electron flow in a wire
    9.stored in dynamite

Now these are the answers im given.

kinetic
    electrical
    electric potential
    sound
    chemical potential
    potential
    gravitational potential
    elastic potential
    thermal

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Can u guys help me please.
    Type of Energy
    -------------
    4. Sound
    2.electrical
    7.gravitational potentia
    8.elastic potential
    1.kinetic
    6.potential
    9. thermal
    3.electric potential
    5.chemical potential

Someone please help im trying to teach my children, they are going into grade 9 in september this is a package i have recieved from the school they are going to to prepare them, Thank you
    Your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The question is written out in a way that makes it difficult to understand what is being asked, and how to interpret your attempt at a solution.

The question probably is asking, "For each thing or action listed in the first group, what is the form of the energy causing the action?"

Code (Text):

Thing/Action    Type of Energy
    ------------    --------------
      1.                4. Sound

Can you try filling out more answers in this format? I've given you the first one.

4. Jul 15, 2008 #3

berkeman

I did try to help. I gave you a more understandable format to use to show your answers, and I even gave you the first answer to be sure you understood the format of the table. We do not give out answers here on the PF, we can offer tutorial support to help you figure out the answers on your own. Even if you are a parent helping your child, you or they will have to figure out the answers on your own.

Now, pick the easiest one or two, and fill those answers into the table to get you started. Look at the energy answer that has the word "gravitational" in it. What Thing/Action would match up with that?

5. Jul 15, 2008 #4

berkeman

BTW, Use the QUOTE button to see how I formatted the table, and just copy/pasted it out of there into your own next reply.

6. Jul 15, 2008 #5
    I have some clue of what i have right could you please just tell me at least which ones I listed wrong so i can try again?

7. Jul 15, 2008 #6

berkeman

No, sorry. That's equivalent to giving out the answers. Besides, depending on how I interpret what you wrote in Post #1, you didn't get many right at all.

So start with my gravitational question above. It's the easiest one to get right.

8. Jul 15, 2008 #7

berkeman

Oh wait, I see now that you edited your first post to try to use the table format. Let me take another look...

9. Jul 15, 2008 #8

berkeman

Now that I see you are doing some of the work, I'm okay with marking what I think you have right. This is the kind of problem where an answer may be correct in several different places, but if you're supposed to use them all up and only use them once apiece, you have to look at the multiple places they could be used, and figure out the place where they fit the best.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?