What is the formula for determining the velocity of a rocket launched off Earth?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gbaby370
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gravity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
gbaby370
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
I am doing a problem which involved determining how fast a rocket was launched off the Earth to reach a maximum height.

I am looking for some assistance with some simple algebra.

The formula used is;

Etotal = -Gm1m2/r+0.5m2v^2

To isolate for v, would my equation be;

v=sqrt(2(Etotal+(Gm1/r))
 
Physics news on Phys.org
gbaby370 said:
The formula used is;

Etotal = -Gm1m2/r+0.5m2v^2
OK.

To isolate for v, would my equation be;

v=sqrt(2(Etotal+(Gm1/r))
Not exactly. (You missed an m2 in there.)

But instead of doing this, express the total mechanical energy at the highest point and compare it to that at the starting point. Then you can make use of energy conservation.
 
Thanks for your help!

I looked over it again and found the answer I was looking for.
 
Ok so I rearranged and got the correct answer. I was just wondering if this equation I've attached can be reduced even further?
 
Attachments
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 453
Ok, how does this look?
 
Attachments
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    3 KB · Views: 469
Looks good to me. (You can even put the 2 in the numerator and erase one set of parentheses.)