What is the function of glycocalyx in cell attachment?

  • Topic: Medical 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Asmaa Mohammad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Function Physiology
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Asmaa Mohammad
Messages
182
Reaction score
7
Hello,
In my physiology book it is said that the glycocalyx helps attach the cells together. I know that glycocalyx is carbohydrates + proteins or lipids, but I don't understand the mechanism by which the glycocalyx attach cells together, and google searches don't help.

So I would appreciate it if someone helped me.

Thanks in advance!
 
Biology news on Phys.org
wikipedia sez:

Most animal epithelial cells have a fuzz-like coat on the external surface of their plasma membranes. This coating consists of several carbohydrate moieties of membrane glycolipids and glycoproteins, which serve as backbone molecules for support. Generally, the carbohydrate portion of the glycolipids found on the surface of plasma membranes helps these molecules contribute to cell-cell recognition, communication, and intercellular adhesion.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Asmaa Mohammad