What is the hardest general profession to get into initially?

• Thread starter WardenOfTheMint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary: It's not that easy, although some people try. The requirements are very rigorous, and there are not many applicants.It depends on your definition of "hardest." Do you mean:1) Requiring the most difficult preparatory school work, or2) Being the most difficult field to find an actual position in?Both of those are possible. The prep school work is required, but the field of medicine is always in demand, so it might not be the most difficult. It also depends on your location and the type of medicine.
WardenOfTheMint
I would say a doctor. You have thousands of people applying every time, 3.6 gpa'ers + mcat'ers. what could be harder? and then what next? brutal medical school and 24/7 studying!

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on your definition of "hardest." Do you mean:

1) Requiring the most difficult preparatory school work, or
2) Being the most difficult field to find an actual position in?

- Warren

It is not a trick question. I just want opinions. It can be both of the things you've mentioned.

WardenOfTheMint.

actor

Supermodel.

President?

Drug dealer/pimp. The streets are owned, so in order to sell drugs or pimp you'll have to drive away another dealer/pimp.

a necromancer, hey necromancy is kinda hard.

Cyrus said:
Drug dealer/pimp. The streets are owned, so in order to sell drugs or pimp you'll have to drive away another dealer/pimp.

According to Showtime, it's pretty easy if you're female and hot.

- Warren

waht said:
President?

I don't know. While the positions are limited, there also is a fairly small applicant pool, a lot of job turnover, and sometimes just reapplying a few years later will get you the job.

OK, I'm going to shoot high, here. Pope. 1/2 of the population can't make the cut because of gender problems and of the males, who wants to be a priest, and who is (traditionally) European, and so deeply involved in Vatican politics to withstand the vetting and voting?

Obviously all non-Catholics are out, as are all devout Catholics who are not already (supposedly) male, celibate, ordained Vatican insiders at the rank of cardinal or above. It's pretty much an appointment for life, so turn-over is low.

Dalai Lama is another tough job position to get. I took up golf to improve my chances (heavy hitter) with no luck.

Last edited:
Well, I could point out that the OP inquired about general professions, and I don't think "being the Pope" qualifies. On the other hand, this is GD. :biggrin:

- Warren

chroot said:
Well, I could point out that the OP inquired about general professions, and I don't think "being the Pope" qualifies. On the other hand, this is GD. :biggrin:

- Warren
Extrapolation (OK, thread hijacking) to extremes is expected here. Everything not forbidden is mandatory.

New York Harbor Pilot. You have to be a relative (usually son) of a present pilot.

Related to What is the hardest general profession to get into initially?

1. What makes a profession difficult to get into initially?

There are several factors that can make a profession challenging to break into. These may include high competition, limited job availability, required education or training, and specific skills or qualifications.

2. Is it harder to enter certain professions than others?

Yes, depending on the profession and its specific requirements, some professions may be more difficult to enter than others. For example, fields such as medicine, law, or engineering typically have higher barriers to entry compared to other industries.

3. What are some common challenges people face when trying to enter a profession?

Some common challenges that people may encounter when trying to enter a profession can include lack of experience, limited networking opportunities, and the need for specialized skills or knowledge. Additionally, certain professions may have a lengthy and competitive application process.

4. How can someone increase their chances of successfully entering a difficult profession?

One way to increase your chances of entering a difficult profession is to gain relevant experience through internships, volunteer work, or part-time jobs. Additionally, networking with professionals in the field and obtaining necessary education or training can also help improve your chances.

5. Are there any professions that are universally considered to be the hardest to enter?

It is difficult to determine the hardest profession to enter as it can vary depending on individual circumstances and personal strengths. However, professions that require extensive education and training, high levels of competition, and strict licensing requirements may generally be considered more challenging to enter.