Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the hardest general profession to get into initially?

1. Jun 29, 2008 #1
    I would say a doctor. You have thousands of people applying every time, 3.6 gpa'ers + mcat'ers. what could be harder? and then what next? brutal medical school and 24/7 studying!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2008 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It depends on your definition of "hardest." Do you mean:

1) Requiring the most difficult preparatory school work, or
    2) Being the most difficult field to find an actual position in?

- Warren

4. Jun 29, 2008 #3
    It is not a trick question. I just want opinions. It can be both of the things you've mentioned.

WardenOfTheMint.

5. Jun 29, 2008 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Jun 29, 2008 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Supermodel.

7. Jun 29, 2008 #6
    President?

8. Jun 29, 2008 #7
    Drug dealer/pimp. The streets are owned, so in order to sell drugs or pimp you'll have to drive away another dealer/pimp.

9. Jun 29, 2008 #8
    a necromancer, hey necromancy is kinda hard.

10. Jun 29, 2008 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to Showtime, it's pretty easy if you're female and hot.

- Warren

11. Jun 29, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know. While the positions are limited, there also is a fairly small applicant pool, a lot of job turnover, and sometimes just reapplying a few years later will get you the job.

12. Jun 29, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

OK, I'm going to shoot high, here. Pope. 1/2 of the population cant make the cut because of gender problems and of the males, who wants to be a priest, and who is (traditionally) European, and so deeply involved in Vatican politics to withstand the vetting and voting?

Obviously all non-Catholics are out, as are all devout Catholics who are not already (supposedly) male, celibate, ordained Vatican insiders at the rank of cardinal or above. It's pretty much an appointment for life, so turn-over is low.

Dalai Lama is another tough job position to get. I took up golf to improve my chances (heavy hitter) with no luck.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  13. Jun 29, 2008 #12

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I could point out that the OP inquired about general professions, and I don't think "being the Pope" qualifies. On the other hand, this is GD. :biggrin:

- Warren

14. Jun 29, 2008 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Extrapolation (OK, thread hijacking) to extremes is expected here. Everything not forbidden is mandatory.

15. Jun 29, 2008 #14
    New York Harbor Pilot. You have to be a relative (usually son) of a present pilot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?