What is the joy of lifelong learning in math?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
mathdad
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
0
See picture.

View attachment 7355

Is my work correct?
 
Attachments
  • MathMagic171010_1.png
    MathMagic171010_1.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 125
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
See picture.

Is my work correct?
Yes. I'd leave it as the fraction, but do as your instructor wants it.

-Dan
 
topsquark said:
Yes. I'd leave it as the fraction, but do as your instructor wants it.

-Dan

What instructor? I am 52 years old. I love math and thus joined the MHB to revisit math learned long ago. You probably think I'm nuts but, honestly, math is my favorite hobby.
 
RTCNTC said:
What instructor? I am 52 years old. I love math and thus joined the MHB to revisit math learned long ago. You probably think I'm nuts but, honestly, math is my favorite hobby.
I've been out of school for years. They are going to have to rent a separate room at the Nursing Home to store all the textbooks I have. I'm not going to stop studying until I'm too senile to do it. I study for fun...You aren't alone!

In that case I'd recommend leaving your answer in fraction form. Math is usually about exact answers, whereas Physics tends to gravitate toward decimals.

-Dan
 
topsquark said:
I've been out of school for years. They are going to have to rent a separate room at the Nursing Home to store all the textbooks I have. I'm not going to stop studying until I'm too senile to do it. I study for fun...You aren't alone!

In that case I'd recommend leaving your answer in fraction form. Math is usually about exact answers, whereas Physics tends to gravitate toward decimals.

-Dan

I feel so much better now. Honestly, my family, my son, and friends who know about my passion for math think that psychiatry land is calling my name. Perhaps, if I got drunk, slept around with many women (nobody wants me at 52) and burned all my math books, they would call me Mr. Cool. I have bad news for them.

I plan to be burried with at least one math book but, of course, in heaven there is no need to know math for God is there ALL THE TIME. He will be my eternal joy but while in this life, learning math is a great adventure. Yes, I am a nerd, a big belly, no hair nerd but math is cool.