Books for learning the maths used in learning Relativity

In summary, the conversation discussed recommendations for books to learn the mathematics used in relativity, specifically tensors and Minkowski spacetime metric. Suggestions were made for both introductory and more in-depth texts on the subject, including "A First Course in General Relativity" by Schutz and "Geometry of Physics" by Frankel. The conversation also touched on the concept of tensors and their transformation properties.
Subrahmanyan
Can anyone suggest a book from where I can learn the math used in relativity like Tensors,Minkowski spacetime metric ,etc ? A suggestion of pdfs would also be appreciated?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for a text on the mathematics or for a text on relativity. Tensors and differential geometry is covered in many basic books (including mine), but they will generally not discuss the specifics of Lorentzian manifolds but instead keep to Riemannian geometry (where the metric is positive definite). The generalisation to pseudo metrics is rather straight forward though and any relativity text should discuss it.

Likes Daverz
I agree with Orodruin, get a good intro to GR that does a good job covering tensors. I recommend Schutz, A First Course in General Relativity.

If you want more mathematics and more depth, I suggest Frankel, Geometry of Physics, but it may be too much for a first pass.

For a GR intro, I really liked Foster and Nightingale's "A Short Course in General Relativity" because it progresses very naturally like this:
1. Curvilinear coordinate systems in flat space (e.g. polar or spherical)
2. Curvilinear coordinate systems for a curved surface in flat space (e.g. a spherical surface)
3. Specialize to remaining in that curved surface, and now you have a curved 2d space. Suddenly we are in GR land.
If you already know what the Jacobian is and how to transform between (x,y) and (r,theta) in flat 2d, then you can quickly get up to speed. If not, he introduces these things, and you'll just have to move a little more slowly.

Likes mamuneee02
Do you guys know what the basis of a tensor is?

mamuneee02 said:
Do you guys know what the basis of a tensor is?

That depends on how you view it. I will not go into differential forms, but give the old answer. Its as sort of a generalized matrix of numbers that has certain transformation properties. It comes in two general types contravarient and covarient, and even mixed. Like matrices in linear algebra the actual numbers depend on the 'basis' of the vectors it is transforming. But the modern view is like a linear transformation in linear algebra, the actual numbers in a particular basis is not that important - the 'abstract' properties of the transformation is what's is mostly considered.

The only real way to understand them is to go through the literature such as what I posted.

Thanks
Bill

1. What are some recommended books for learning the math used in learning Relativity?

Some popular books for learning the math used in Relativity include "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard Schutz, "Special Relativity and Classical Field Theory" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "Gravitation" by Charles Misner, Kip Thorne, and John Wheeler.

2. Do I need a strong background in math to understand Relativity?

Yes, a strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary to fully comprehend Relativity. However, there are also introductory books available that explain the math used in Relativity in a more accessible way.

3. Are there any online resources for learning the math used in Relativity?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning the math used in Relativity, including lecture notes, video lectures, and interactive tutorials. Some popular websites for these resources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera.

4. How can I practice and apply the math used in Relativity?

There are many practice problems and exercises available in textbooks and online resources that can help you apply the math used in Relativity. Additionally, working on real-world problems and applications of Relativity can also help strengthen your understanding of the math.

5. Can I learn the math used in Relativity without learning the theory of Relativity?

While it is possible to learn the math used in Relativity without learning the theory, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of the concepts and principles of Relativity in order to fully grasp the applications of the math. However, there are also resources available that focus solely on the math used in Relativity without delving into the theory, if that is your preference.