What is the Kinematics Problem for a California Condor Carrying Carrion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
yjstudent
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
A California Condor is approaching its nest with a large chunk of carrion in its beak. As it approaches, it makes an upward swoop, achieving a momentary upward velocity of 12.8 m/s when the carrion falls from its mouth, hitting a cliff outcropping 32.1 m below. Determine the speed of the carrion upon hitting the outcropping.

This is a problem from Physics Classroom that I have to solve for AP Physics summer homework. I've never done physics before, so I'm finding it hard to even do basic problems.

Help please?

I've tried setting v0=12.8, x=32.1, a=g=9.8 and plugging it into vf^2=v0^2+2ax.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the carrion is set loose, which way is it going? Up or down? How does gravity affect this?
 
The carrion goes down. I think that gravity makes it go down faster?
 
yjstudent said:
The carrion goes down.

No. Read the description. Just before the carrion is released the entire system bird + carrion is going UP.

I think that gravity makes it go down faster?

First it will need to slow it to a (momentary) halt.

What does this all mean with regard to the signs of [itex]v_0[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex]?
 
Opposite signs? Since v0 goes up and g goes down
 
Exactly! Now you need to choose a positive direction - either up or down - and that should fix the signs for all the quantities (the distance, the velocity, and the acceleration), so you will be able to write down the equations.